24 December 2007

24 December 2007

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1330-1345 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature45°F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure29.92" Hg
Feels LikeMild but blustery

NOAA says it is gusting to 22 mph but it is more than that up here. It is difficult to walk against the stronger gusts.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
Instruments25x30 “spyglass” telescope - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071224.1330 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.984AU
8m 11s
Angular Size32' 34.6"
Altitude22.9°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-2.08°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
61.86°
Position Angle
(P)
6.03°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2064

Active Region Explorer, which is generating maps again, shows Group 979 is just rotating back onto the front of the sun but it is too close to the limb for me to pick it out.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationMcDonalds, Westchester Ave near Benedict Ave, Bronx, NY
Lat: 40° 49’ 59.5”
Long: -73° 51’ 28.3”
Observational Period1630-1645 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature44°F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.98" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCold

TransparencyFair
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071224.1630 EST
CommentsNot Seen
The sun hasn’t fully set yet so the sky is still to bright to pick up the satellite unaided.

CalSky says there will be a -2.8 ISS visible pass tonight but Heavens Above says there won't be any visible passes. I suspect that the discrepancy is because the pass will occur in twilight.

 TimeAlt.Az.Mag.
Begins1630 ESThorizon302.2°0.8
Max. Alt.1635 EST50.1°220.3°-1.8
Ends1639 ESThorizon138.2°-0.6

1635 ESTSunset



Observing LocationSt Helena’s, Olmstead Ave @ Benedict Ave, Bronx, NY
Lat: 40° 50’ 2.49”
Long: -73° 51’ 26”
Observational Period1700-1745 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature44°
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.98" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCold

TransparencyFair
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

1635 ESTSunset
1635-1706 ESTCivil Twilight
1706-1740 ESTNautical Twilight
1712 ESTMoonrise

TargetIridium 86 Flare
ConstellationCam
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071224.1719 EST
CommentsFor some reason I hadn’t made a note of this flare to observe it so although I was looking in the area to see where Iridium 90 would flare I did not see it.
Alt.24.5°
Az.24.5°
Mag.-1.0

TargetIridium 90 Flare
ConstellationPer
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071224.1723 EST
CommentsThis was a very bright flare and was higher and farther to the right than I expected it so I only caught the end of it. CalSky says
This is a spare satellite or its status is unknown. Brightness estimate may be unreliable and flare time accurate to a few seconds.
Alt.65.4°
Az.48.0°
Mag.-4.1

TargetIridium 50 Flare
Constellation
Category
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071224.1728 EST
CommentsNot Seen
Alt.28.7°
Az.20.0°
Mag.+0.6

1740-1813 ESTAstronomical Twilight



Observing LocationMO
Observational Period1915-1945 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverOvercast
Temperature43°
WindLight Breeze
gusting to
Gentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.05" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCold

It feels a little raw. The sky is completely covered with thin stratus clouds which the Moon is shining through.

TransparencyPoor
Seeing
Instruments Minolta X-700 SLR – Charlie
  • Minolta 500mm mirror lens
  • Tamron 2x teleconverter

Nikon CoolPix 990 digital camera – Charlie
  • Fisheye Converter FC-E8
  • Wide Converter WC-E63
  • Tele Converter TC-E2
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationGem
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071224.1915 EST
Comments
Lunation1051
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Full + 23h
Age15d6h34m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
364,243 km
1.21s
Elongation166.6° W
% Illuminated98.4%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)98°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)278°
Libration in Latitude-4°07’
Libration in Longitude5°43’
Magnitude-12.5
Angular Size32.81'
Altitude19°12’

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Terrence Dickerson, in Exploring the Sky by Day, says that there is no difference in the Sun/Moon size between when it is on the horizon and when it is up in the sky.

When the sun and moon are close to the horizon, they look much larger than when they are high in the sky. Yet there is really no difference at all. Not a bit. Yet the sun and the moon are exactly the same size whether they are close to the horizon or not. It is an optical illusion.
I have already proved this is wrong for the Moon by the application of geometry and it should be wrong for the Sun also, and for the same reason (that we are closer to the body when it transits than we were when it rose or will be when it sets). To test out my hypothesis I went to Planetarium to get the diameters. I chose 23Dec07 since that is the night of the full Moon and I am hoping to be able to go out and photograph it low on the horizon (as low as the apartment buildings will permit) and when it transits.

 SunMoon
Rise23Dec07
0714 EST
0.984 AU
32' 34.4"
23Dec07
1600 EST
363,000 km
32' 31"
Transit23Dec07
1134 EST
0.984 AU
32' 34.4"
24Dec07
0005 EST
357,000 km
33' 30"
Set23Dec07
1634 EST
0.984 AU
32' 34.4"
24Dec07
0806 EST
365,000 km
32'60"
We are coming up on aphelion so the Earth is getting closer to the Sun every second. We are also moving toward apogee so the Moon is getting farther away all the time.

I found that the Moon does appear larger when it is transiting and it is closer to earth at that time. But the Sun does not appear to change in size. I wondered if this might be a problem with Planetarium since Helio gives a different sun diameter so looked up those diameters and substituted them but the result was the same. I propose that the Sun really is subtending greater and lesser diameters as it rises and falls just like the Moon, but that it is so far away that the change is less than the resolution of my software and that we can't perceive the change.

Dickerson suggests using an aspirin tablet held at arm's length to prove that the Moon doesn't change size. He says that the tablet at that distance is slightly smaller than the Moon. Since he is also talking about the Sun on this page so should have included a warning not to try this with the Sun, but didn't. It was bad weather last night so I went out tonight to photograph the Moon close to the horizon and plan to go out when it is culminating to prove that it is larger when it is overhead than it is when it is on the horizon. Unfortunately it is overcast so the images of the horizon Moon are not going to be great. Hopefully it will clear up before culmination.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.