20 December 2007

20 December 2007

Observing LocationChief Dennis L Devlin Park, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1245-1300 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature42°F
WindLight Breeze
gusting to
Gentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.13" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeVery comfortable

It is sunny and reels like a late fall/early spring day. The ice is melting.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071220.1245 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
.0984 AU
8m 11s
Angular Size32' 35.1"
Altitude25.4°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-1.58°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
109.47°
Position Angle
(P)
7.70°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2064

The only group, 978, is currently on the back side of the Sun so there is nothing to see.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Somebody in Washington appears to be thinking. A comgresman is going to propose that NASA receive additional funding to keep the Space Shuttle fleet flying between 2010, when it is supposed to be retired, and 2015, which is when the Crew Expedition Vehicle is supposed to make its first flight. If this comes to pass it will mean that the US will not be dependant on other countries to get men up to the ISS and it should lessen pressure on NASA to get flights off the ground in order to complete construction of the ISS before 2010.

Also on Space.com is an story saying that after five years of shuttle launch delays due to sensors failures (see daisy-chained stories in the links) NASA has finally traced the problem, at least on the current ET, to a faulty feed-through connector. It seems the female connector on the outside of the tank is not the same size as the mail part attached to the tank to which it is mated. No word yet on whose fault it is or if NASA will try to recoup expenses for delayed launches if it is a contractor issue.

NASA graphics: A huge 3D cutaway view of the ET

I haven't been able to locate a NASA image of the problem connector but did find a graphic of a generic feed-through connector.

I suspect that what we are talking about is something like this, except that it is made of glass.

In the links in that article I found one that gives the earlies launch time for the Shuttle. I had projected a 10Jan08 launch time of 0237 EST based on the launch time being advanced 23 minutes for each day the launch is delayed. The article gives the launch time as 2026:10. A quick look says it looks like the advancement is around 23.5 minutes/day.



Observing LocationOlmstead Ave @ Benedict Ave, Bronx, NY
Lat.: 40° 50' 4.07"
Long: -73° 51' 17.96"
Observational Period1745-1800
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken Clouds
Temperature41°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.18" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeRaw

When I was out an hour ago it was mostly clear with some stratus clouds low on the horizon to the north. Now it is approaching overcast with stratocumulus. There are still some gaps in the clouds and I can see Cas which is where the satellite will appear. It feels like the humidity has also increased.

TransparencyPoor
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 86 Flare
ConstellationPer & Cam
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071220.1750 EST
CommentsThis is the first time I have ever been cognizant of an Iridium satellite flaring twice on the same pass so I was interested in seeing it. Not that it will look any different from two different satellites flaring. It is just the idea of it. The first flare was supposed to take place in Cas and the second one 20.9° away in Cam.

By the time of the first flare there was very little clear sky left and there was a big cloud covering the area below the Queen so I missed both flares.

TimeAlt.Az.Con.MagSurface
1750:46 EST54.7°44.6°Per-2.3left antenna
1751:45 EST38.9°24.4°Cam-1.6solar panel
When I plugged the data into Planetarium I found that the first flare was actually in Perseus rather than Cassiopeia as CalSky had indicated. Admittedly it was very low in the border between the two constellations, but it meant that I was looking too high in the sky, but Perseus was well in the clouds by then anyway.



Observing LocationParkchester Branch Library, Westchester Ave near Pugsley Ave, Bronx, NY
Lat.: 40° 50' 0.85"
Long: -73° 51' 30.32"
Observational Period1810-1825 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverOvercast
Temperature41°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.22" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeRaw

Conditions have continued to deteriorate. Now there are only a couple of places where the clouds are thin and dark where the sky is showing through but it is basically overcast.

TransparencyNil
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS (in)Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071220.1816 EST
CommentsNot Seen

 TimeAlt.Az.Mag.
Begins1816:20 ESThorizon300.3°0.8
Max. Alt.1821:04 EST38.4°221.0°-2.8
Ends1821:2237.0 204.6-3.0

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.