17 December 2007

17 December 2007

If wolly fleeces spread the heavenly way,
Be sure no rain disturbs the day.


Observing LocationDennis L Devlin Park, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1245-1300 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature31°F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCold
Wind Chill 23°F

It doesn’t feel that bad until the wind picks up. Fortunately it is on the decrease after a can-and-dog storm.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments25x30 spyglass telescope w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
This was more of an experiment to see if I could observe with this optic than a real observing session since I didn’t anticipate there being any spots left to observe.

There is a lot of dirt in the optics so it will be hard to tell the spots from the dust except that the dust will move when I move the scope.

It was a little difficult finding the sun but not as difficult holding it in the FoV as I had expected that it would be.

Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071217.1245 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.984 AU
8ms
Angular Size32' 33.5"
Altitude25.4°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-1.20°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
148.99°
Position Angle
(P)
9.14°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2064

Space Weather says that Group 978 is still visible hard on the western limb but I did not see it.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



I was doing some research into precipitation in Exploring the Sky by Day by Terence Dickinson and found a place where he says that it is less than two minutes from the time the sin first touches the horizon until it is completely gone. I did the math and it looks to me like it is a little more than two minutes. The sun is 32.15’ in diameter on average. It travels at 0.25°/min. So I calculate that it should take 2.16 minutes or 2 m 9.6s for it to set.

Time = Distance / Speed

Time = (32.15 / 60) / (360 / (24 * 60)) = 2.16 minutes

DiameterTimeComment
31.6’
0.53°
2.11 minperihelion
32.15’
0.54°
2.16 minaverage distance
32.7’
0.55°
2.18 minaphelion

This is something to try to time if Team TotL ever gets out to Orient Point again to observe the green flash. It would be easier to do it on a sunset when you can see the sun approaching the horizon and know when and where it will touch, but I don't forsee Team TotL making a trip to Florida or out to the left coast to get an unobstructed western horizon.



Winter Solstice, when the sun will align with one of the sides of the McGraw-Hill Sun Trianggle, is on Saturday, 22Dec07, when the McGraw-Hill plaza will be closed. But it occurs at 0108 EDT which is close to midnight on Friday so I am considering going down to see what happens at noon on Friday. They are saying it will be partly cloudy with clouds increasing through the day and the possibility of more rain on snow.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.