15 December 2007

15 December 2007

Fairy-Land

Dim vales- and shadowy floods- And cloudy-looking woods, Whose forms we can't discover For the tears that drip all over! Huge moons there wax and wane- Again- again- again- Every moment of the night- Forever changing places- And they put out the star-light With the breath from their pale faces. About twelve by the moon-dial, One more filmy than the rest (A kind which, upon trial, They have found to be the best) Comes down- still down- and down, With its centre on the crown Of a mountain's eminence, While its wide circumference In easy drapery falls Over hamlets, over halls, Wherever they may be- O'er the strange woods- o'er the sea- Over spirits on the wing- Over every drowsy thing- And buries them up quite In a labyrinth of light- And then, how deep!- O, deep! Is the passion of their sleep. In the morning they arise, And their moony covering Is soaring in the skies, With the tempests as they toss, Like- almost anything- Or a yellow Albatross. They use that moon no more For the same end as before- Videlicet, a tent- Which I think extravagant: Its atomies, however, Into a shower dissever, Of which those butterflies Of Earth, who seek the skies, And so come down again, (Never-contented things!) Have brought a specimen Upon their quivering wings.

Edgar Allan Poe




Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1300-1315 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature32°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Barrometric Pressure30.47” Hg
Steady
Feels LikeCold
27°F Wind Chill

It is cold but not really uncomfortable. The wind is barely perceptible.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Golden Gate 7x35 binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071215.1300 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.984 AU
8m 11s
Angular Size32' 33.2"
Altitude24.7°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-0.95°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
175.21°
Position Angle
(P)
10.05°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2064

Group 978 is still there but I can’t find it.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



I have graphed some information about Mars for the period November through December 2007 to see how magnitude, diameter, distance and percent illuminated are related.

As is to be expected, the planet subtends the greatest diameter when it is closest to Earth.

Its maximum brightness spans the period when it appears largest and when it is most fully illuminated, which is a function of where it is in its orbit in relation to the Sun and Earth (fully illuminated when it is at opposition). Most of that period is also when it is closest to Earth (because that is when it appears biggest)

The unexpected thing is how slowly the planet approaches its maximum brightness and how quickly at fades after.



Last night I found a table that I was working on a good while ago that might be useful in dealing with maps for occultations. It indicates what size an inch or centimeter represents at different map scales. Some of the scales are what you will find on printed maps and others are ones that I calculated that would result in useful figures for interpreting the map and are only applicable if you have mapping software that can create them.

Scale1" =1 cm =
1:100~3'1 m
1:1,000~30'10 m
1:1,200100'12 m
1:2,400200'24 m
1:4,800400'48 m
1:5,000~150'50 m
1:6,000500'60 m
1:6,3360.1 mi 
1:7,9201/8 mi'
600'
~80 m
1:9,600800'~100 m
1:10,000~800'100 m
0.1 km
1:12,0001000'120 m
1:15,8401/4 mi~160 m
~0.4 km
1:20,000 200 m
1:24,0002,000'240 m
0.8 km
1:25,000 250 m
1:31,6801/2 mi~320 m
~0.8 km
1:31,960.75 mi~1.2 km
1:50,000~0.8 mi500 m
0.5 km
1:62,500~1 mi~630 m
1:63,3601 mi
1760 yards
5280'
63360"
 
1:75,000~0.5 mi0.75 km
1:100,000 1 km
1:125,000~2 mi1.25 km
1:126,7202 mi~1.25 km
1:150,000 1.5 km
1:200,000 2 km
1:250,000~4 mi2.5 km
1:253,4004 mi~2.5 km
1:316,8005 mi~3 km
1:400,000 4 km
1:500,000~8 mi5 km
1:506,8808 mi~5 km
1:633,60010 mi~6.25 km
1:1,000,000~16 mi'10 km
1:1,013,76016 mi~10 km
1:1,267,20025 mi 
1:3,168,00050 mi 
1:2,000,000 20 km
1:2,500,000~1525 km
1:5,000,000~30 mi50 km

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.