01 December 2007

1 December 2007

December
From the Latin word for tenth since it was the tenth month of the Roman year.


The icicles now fringe the trees
That swayed in summer's gentle breeeze.

Dora Read Goodale




I looked up the upcoming satellites again yesterday and in reviewing them I noticed that the Iridium flares get a little earlier every day. That got me to thinking about the geometry and I decided to try to chart out some of it to see if I could learn anything.

I realize that it is a combination of all of these factors and the chance that a satellite is where it is in its orbit at that time, and probably more factors of which I am not cognizant, that determine the brightness of any individual flare, and that a sample size of eight doesn’t nave much statistical relevance, but I wanted to do the analysis anyway.

DateTime

Sunset +
(minutes)
Mag.Alt.Az.

Elongation
Satellite
1Dec071734
63
-1.434.721.2
230.1
5
2Dec071728
57
0.632.118.7
231.5
8
3Dec071713
42
-0.725.423.7
224.1
37
4Dec071708
38
-2.123.422.1
224.8
34
5Dec071702
31
-2.421.321.5
224.3
5
5Dec071715
45
-1.666.747.4
200.4
51
6Dec071647
17
0.515.922.7
220.7
51
6Dec071656
26
-0.619.619.7
225.1
8

I started out trying to make a bubble chart to plot magnitude against altitude and azimuth, but the bubbles were too big again and you couldn’t see anything on the chart. So I switched to an XY scatter chart and used a different series of points for different ranges of brightness. It seems like there might be a clustering of similar magnitude flares, but you have that one yellow, Mag -1.6 flare way off in the right corner that in brightness should be near the rest of the points. I am wondering if it is bad data that has that point way out there by itself.

Next I looked at magnitude and time from sunset. I don’t see any relationship there.

Be careful of this one. I moved magnitude to the abscissa because I thought the altitude should be on the vertical axis. I don’t see any relationship here either.

Lastly, I looked at magnitude and elongation. This isn’t true elongation since it only takes into account the difference in the azimuth of the sun and that of the flare, but it is close enough for government work. Again, no relationship is discerned.




Alone

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were---I have not seen
As others saw---I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I lov'd, I loved alone.
Then---in my childhood---in the dawn
Of a most stormy life---was drawn
From ev'ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that 'round me roll'd
In its autumn tint of gold---
From the lightning in the sky
As it pass'd me flying by---
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.

Edgar Allan Poe




Spots!

I just checked Space Weather and there is a cluster of two spots about half way across the lower left quadrant of the Sun. And here I sit without optics and the weather is supposed to get worse before it gets better. They saw we will have the coldest weather of the season, again, and there might even be a little snow, but it shouldn't amount to anything. But it is supposed to be cloudy at least through Tuesday so unless these spots are long lived it is unlikely that I will see them.

And Active Region Explorer has experienced a hardware malfunction and the site says there won't be any new maps for a few days. The last update to the site was on 14Nov07. It appears that the stand-alone version of the program still works.



NASA is planning to launch Shuttle Atlantis on mission STS-122 this coming Thursday, 6Dec07, at 1431 EST. That will put it past NYC at around 1440 EST and too early for us to see it. There are visible ISS passes coming up so it is possible that we will have a chance to see Atlantis and the ISS flying in formation.

Liftoff -3 days, 3Dec07
Countdown begins
Flight Day 1, 6Dec07
Launch
Flight Day 3, 8Dec07
Rendezvous & Docking
Flight Day 10, 15Dec07
Undocking & Separation
Flight Day 12, 17Dec07
Landing
So Thursday and Friday will be good days to look for the pair flying in tandem at the beginning of the mission and the following Saturday and Sunday at the end of the mission.

6Dec07
Mag -1.0
Begins
18:01:47
Alt.10°
Az.W
Max. Alt.
18:04:23
Alt.31°
Az.NNW
Ends
18:04:47
Alt.30°
Az.N
7Dec07
Mag. 0.2
Begins
18:24:25
Alt.10°
Az.WNW
Max. Alt.
18:25:45
Alt.16
Az.NW
Ends
18:25:45
Alt.16°
Az.NW
8Dec07
Mag -1.1
Begins
17:10:08
Alt.10°
Az.W
Max. Alt.
17:12:45
Alt.33°
Az.NNW
Ends
17:15:20
Alt.10°
Az.NE
9Dec07
Mag -0.1
Begins
17:32:39
Alt.10°
Az.WNW
Max. Alt.
17:34:40
Alt.17°
Az.NNW
Ends
17:36:10
Alt.12 
Az.NNE
10Dec07
Mag. 0.3
Begins
17:55:35
Alt.10 
Az.NNW
Max. Alt.
17:56:40
Alt.12°
Az.N
Ends
17:56:56
Alt.11
Az.N

The focus of the mission will be the installation of ESA's Columbus module which should go on the left at the bottom of the central, "vertical" elements of ISS. That is the habitable space. All of the transverse structure is there to support the solar arrays and for the attachment or external experiment packages.


NASA graphic



It must have been a slow day for science news yesterday. CNN has a soft news article on astronomy in general which mentions the upcoming Geminids meteor shower. The headline makes it sound like something unusual is going to happen.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.