28 November 2007

27 November 2007

He Wishes for the Clothes of Heaven

Had I the heaven's embroidered clothes,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark clothes
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

William Butler Yeats




Observing LocationMO
Observational Period2145-2315 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature45° - 43° F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCold

It was cold but not umbearable. The wind was barely perceptible. There was some light boiling on the limb of the Moon.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie
SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • CelESTron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • CelESTron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071127.2145 EST
Comments I stopped by PSC on the way up to MO to see if less ambient light would make a difference in my being able to see the comet but I couldn’t see it in the binocular from either location. I tried with SAR but didn’t detect anything there either.

TargetMoon
ConstellationGem
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071127.2210 EST
Comments
Lunation1050
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Age18d4h06m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
369,403 km
1.23s
Elongation131.4° W
% Illuminated83.1%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)131.3°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)211.3°
Libration in Latitude-3°39’
Libration in Longitude8°03’
Magnitude-11.6
Angular Size32'26"
Altitude25.5°

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic
The Moon is on a line below Castor and Pollux and Mars is out to the right of Castor forming nearly a right triangle.

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic
Terminator
In SunlightFeatureIn Shadow
  Endymion>>>
<<< Keldysh 
<<< Hercules 
<<< Atlas 
  Chevallier>>>
<<< Cepheus 
<<< Macrobius 
  Tsserand>>>
<<< Proclus 
<<< Cameron 
<<< Messier A 
  Messier>>>
<<< Goclenius 
<<< Belloit>>>
<<< Colombo 
<<< Cook 
<<< Santbech 
<<< Borda 
<<< Reichenbach 
<<< Metius 
<<< Fabricius 
<<< Janssen 
<<< Steinheil 
<<< Watt 
<<< Vlacq 
<<< Rosenberger 
<<< Nearch 
<<< Hagucius 
<<< Boussigault 
<<< Boguslawsky 

Features identified:

  • Dorsa Cato in Mare Fecunditatis
  • Central peak in Reinhold
  • Wisp of white from Madler extending to the east in Mare Nubium
  • Ray from Messier A in Mare Fecunditatis
  • Some structure inside Posidenous
  • It looks like there are worm tunnels or tire tracks in the area of the Apollo 17 manding site, on the border between Mare Serenitatis and Mare Tranquilitatis
  • It looks like there is a central peak in Plinius
  • I can make out the top end of the Pyrenes mountains where they start south of Gutenberg and the lower end where they end near Dohnenberger, but not the middle portion
  • Altai Scarp
  • It looks like a bending ray from Tycho is tangent to Fracastorius and a weaker ray on the other side going down past Picolomini that give Fracastorius the appearance of a comet
  • There is still one peak visible in Montes Cordillera up near Grimaldi

While I had the scope pointed into Perseus I looked for some stars in the Alpha Perseus Association to try to get a handle on the TFoV of my 20mm lens.


Cartes du Ciel graphic
I wish there was a drag and drop feature in Cartes du Ciel. You can position something in the center of the screen, but it is hard to position it exactly anywhere else, so I can't get α Per to lie on the edge of the 2.3° eyepiece circle.

Compared to α Per
StarDistanceComment
HIP 163402.0°In FoV
ο Per2.2°In FoV
HIP 164702.2°In FoV
HIP 165702.4°Out of FoV

There is a peculiarity of SAR that is complicating the exercise. There is vignyetting in the upper right quadrant of the FoV caused by a misalignment of the coffee cans and mirrors that I can’t correct. Stars go dim or disappear before they reach the field stop in that area. That is where α Per was so it wasn’t too bad owing to its brightness.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.