27 November 2007

25 Nobember 2007

Observing LocationMO
Observational Period1915-2145 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud Coverbetween
Scattered Clouds and Overcast
Temperature46°F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCool and a little moist

NOAA had been predicting mostly cloudy for tonight but when I checked in the early evening they said observed conditions at Central Park were clear. I looked out my bedroom window and could see Capella so got dressed and went out.

Initially there were some scattered clouds low on the horizon, mostly below the Moon and behind the apartment buildings. I looked up into Perseus and could barely see δ Per naked-eye. I couldn’t find the comet with the binocular. I tried with the scope and while I was searching the sky disappeared. The clouds went to Broken then to Overcast. I was about to pack it in when a clear patch of sky appeared around the Moon. I observed there for a while and then back in Perseus for a bit and the clouds filled in the hole and became Borken to Overcast again. While on the way home I noticed that the Moon was in a clear patch of sky again.

TransparencyFair to Poor
SeeingII
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x, 2.3 TFoV)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071125.1925 EST
2007 Nov 26.02
CommentsI could hardly see δ Per naked-eye. I could see stripes of cloud through the area in the binocular, but not the comet. With the telescope I thought I saw the comet but it was farther to the east than indicated by either Planetarium or Cartes du Ciel. While trying to fix its location and size everything disappeared when thin clouds blocked out the sky.

TargetMoon
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071125.2000 EST
Comments
Lunation1050
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Full + 1d12h30m
Age16d1h56m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
358,519 km
1.2s
Elongation159.2° W
% Illuminated97.0%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)105.6°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)285.6°
Libration in Latitude-5° 33’
Libration in Longitude-5° 09’
Magnitude-12.4
Angular Size33.33'
Altitude25.9°

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Terminator
In DaylightFeatureIn Shadow
<<<Endymion 
<<<Mercurius 
<<<Lacus Temporis>>>
 Gauss>>>
<<<Berosus 
<<<Hahn 
<<<Hansen 
<<<Condrocet 
<<<Barkla 
 Kapteyn>>>
 La Perouse>>>
<<<Legenort 
<<<Adams 
<<<Pontecoulant 
<<<Boussingault 
<<<Helmholtz 
<<<Neumeyer 
<<<Demowax 
Just off the terminator opposite Elmmart is what looks like a peak that is casting a shadow into the terminator.

I could get TYC 3319-01402-1 and ι Per (2.1° distance) in the 21.6x FoV, but not Hip 15770 and ι Per (2.3° distance). My calculated TFoV, based on a drift test is 2.3°. I need to do some more tests in the Alpha Perseus Association to get a better handle on my TFoV.

StarMag.Distance from
α Per
ο Per4.362.1°
HIP 164705.472.2°
HIP 164306.772.3°



The Crazed Moon

Crazed rhrough much child-bearing
The moon is staggering in the sky;
Moon-struck by the despairing
Glances of her wandering eye
We grope, and grope in vain,
For children born of her pain.

Children dazed or dead!
When she in all her virginal pride
First trod on the mountain’s head
What stir ran through the countryside
Where every foot obeyed her glance!
What manhood led the dance!

Fly-catchers of the moon,
Our hands are blenched, our fingers seem
But slender needles of bone;
Blenched by that malicious dream
They are spread wide that each
May rend what comes in reach.

W B Yeats

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.