23 November 2007

22 November 2007

Observing LocationMO
Observational Period2000-2130 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature60° – 45° F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeMild but blustery

It had rained earlier this evening and the skies have cleared off enough that I could see a star or two out of my bedroom window so I went up to the oval to check on 17P/Holmes. There was still some light clouds around and the nearly full Moon was lighting up anything there was in the atmosphere. It didn’t feel moist out but the sidewalks were still wet from the rain and there were a few puddles around. It was windy and there were leaves and plastic bags being blown along the ground everywhere. Seeing was not that great. Whole sections of the Moon were going out of focus pretty much all the time.

TransparencyGood
SeeingIII
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie
SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071122.2040 EST
2007 Nov 23.07 UT
CommentsThe comet was hard to see tonight in the binocular and even harder to see in the telescope. I didn’r make a brightness assessment but based on nearby field stars I estimated its size to be ~45’. At first I thought it was about half the distance between 31 Per and HIP 15779, 1.1°, then I increased that estimate to .66% to .75% of the distance. In the image below the red circle is 45’ in diameter and I think it fairly represents the sixe of the comet that I estimated, but I saw it lower and to the right not extending as far as 31 Per.

\


Cartes du Ciel graphic

TargetMoon
ConstellationAri
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071122.2045 EST
Comments
Lunation1050
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age13d2h41m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
353,140 km
1.17s
Elongation157.7° E
% Illuminated96.3%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)69.9°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)249.9°
Libration in Latitude-5° 71’
Libration in Longitude-1° 40’
Magnitude-12.4
Angular Size33'57"
Altitude61.2°

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic
Terminator
OutsideFeatureInside
<<< Lichtinberg 
<<< Briggs 
<<< Seleuces 
Grimaldi >>>
Sirsalis >>>
Crüger >>>
Carwin >>>
Byrgius >>>
Schicard >>>
Wargentin >>>
Phyocytides >>>
Longmontanes >>>
Maginus >>>
Heraclitus >>>
Clavius >>>
Porter >>>

There were rays going in all directions from Tycho.

Mare Australis, Mare Undarum and Mare Spumans were all dark and easily seen.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.