19 November 2007

18 November 2007

I created a list of 17P/Holmes comparison stars brighter than Mag 4 but dimmer than Mag. 2 and copied it into my scratchpad, formatted so that I can fold over the edge of the page to hide the magnitude listing so I am not swayed by it when I make my observations. That is only good for one use, so I created a web page with the same data that I can print out whenever I need it.

Then I came across my old HP 95LX palntop computer. I loved that machine back in the early 90s, until the keyboard started to go bad. It had a reasonable text editor and a pared-down version of Lotus 1-2-3. I used to write some major documents and huge spreadsheets on that little machine. At the time I was very good at writing Lotus 1-2-3 macros. I put new batteries in it and it still works, so I created a spreadsheet to enter my 17P/Holmes observations into. Then I was rearranging books and came across all of my old 95LX magazines so I looked through them to get a refresher on Macros. Now that spreadsheet will

  • Convert the local time to UT. It sounds simple until you try to trap the rollover at the end of the day.
  • Calculate my magnitude estimate.
  • Calculate my diameter estimate.
  • Reformat the star list from target order into magnitude order to make it easier to write the blog entry.
  • Graph the results to identify exceptions I need to flag in the blog.

If I had the software and all of the dongles, and if Windows Vista liked the device, I think I could export the data into 1-2-3 or Excel on my laptop and have it export a text file with most of the HTML tags. For now it will just be nice having the machine sort the stars by magnitude. That will be a major time saver.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.