17 November 2007

16 November 2007

Observing LocationMO
Observational Period2100-2230 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature38°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeWind Chill 32°F

It was better out tonight than they had been predicting when I decided to forgo a trip into Manhattan for public observing at Columbia University. There were some passing light clouds that interrupted my observations a couple of times. There might have been a light haze that was being lit up by α Per.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie
SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071116.2100 EST
2007 Nov 17.08 UT
Comments Comet 17P/Holmes is approaching Mirfak, α Per.

Cartes du Ciel graphic

Tonight they are only 37' apart and by my last assessment the comet was over 23' in diameter. In the detail below the red circle around the comet shows its size to the farthest extent that I can detect it with SAR.

Since people have been reporting to ICQ that they are seeing the comet as a 2nd magnitude object I targeted brighter stars and switched to the In-Out technique in hopes of making a better brightness estimation. But it was to no avail. I advanced the brightness of the comet marginally to Mag. 2.88 but other people are reporting to ICQ over the past two days that it is dimming and is now in the neighborhood of Mag. 3.12. It is ironic that when I finally get the comet to 2nd magnitude everyone else has downgraded it to 3rd magnitude.


Cartes du Ciel graphic

StarMag.Descrioption
α Aur0.08Brighter
β Ori0.18Brighter
α Ori0.45Brighter
α Tau0.87Brighter
γ Ori1.64Brighter
β Tau1.65Brighter
ε Ori1.69Brighter
ζ Ori1.74Brighter
α Per1.79Brighter
&Alpha Aur; 1.90Brighter
α UMi1.97Brighter
α Ari2.01Brighter
β UMi2.07Brighter
α And2.07Brighter
α And2.07Brighter
κ Ori2.07Brighter
β Per2.09Brighter
γ And2.10Brighter
γ Cas2.15Brighter
α Cas2.24Brighter
δ Ori2.25Brighter
β Cas2.28Brighter
β Peg2.44Dimmerer
α Cet2.54brighter
β Peg2.54Brighter
β Ari2.64Brighter
θ Aur2.65Brighter
δ Cas2.66Brighter
ι Aur2.69Brighter
γ Per2.83Brighter
ζ Per2.84
η Tau2.85Brighter
17P/Holmes~2.90 
ε Per2.90Equal
γ Per2.91Dimmer
ζ Tau2.97Dimmer
β Tri3.00Brighter
δ Per 3.01Dimmer
ε Aur 3.03Dimmer
η Aur3.18Dimmer
ρ Per3.22Dimmer
ε Cas3.35Dimmer
η Ori3.35Dimmer
λ Ori3.39Dimmer
λ Tau3.41Dimmer
α Tri3.42Dimmer
η Cas3.46Dinner
γ Cet 3.47Dimmer
27 Tau3.62Dimmer
ε Cas3.65Dimmer
ζ Cas3.69Brighter
ζ Aur3.69Dimmer
ζ Tau3.72Dimmer
α Psc3.82Dimmer
20 Tau3.87Dimmer
γ Ari3.88Dimmer
γ Tri4.03Dimmer
δ Cet4.08Dimmer
23 Tau4.14Dimmer
19 Tau4.30Dimmer

17P/Holmes looked huge tonight. Comparing it to the star field there seemed to be a nebulosity all the way from α Per out to near HIP 16394 which is a distance of 63’. I think that I am seeing glare from α Per. I know there was a ray of light coming off α Per straight up through the comet. I felt that the comet filled the space between HIP 16196 and TYC 3320-02439-1 (barely visible under the edge of the coma), 36’53”. This is bigger than I have ever assessed it before but within the range reported to ICQ.

  
PowerFoVCountDiameter
21.6x2.3°3°
43.2x~1° 
Average 
I broke one of my rules tonight and never even took the Barlow out of my bag. Tonight would have been a good night to see if transparency and the brightness would have supported it.

I took a closer look at the text data from ICQ.

InstrumentUsers
Naked-eyetoo many to count
Scope10
Scope with CCD3
7x50 binocular9
10x50 binocular7
7x35 binocular4
25x100 binocular3
20x80 binocular2
11x80 binocular
10x80 binocular
20x50 binocular
8x30 binocular
9x13 binocular
1 each
3x40 monocular1
4x20 monocular1

Of the 198 diameter estimates

  • 88 were made using optics
  • 110 were made naked eye
Of the 11 diameter reports with 0.1’ accuracy
  • 2 were made with a CCD
  • 3 were made with a scope
  • 1 was made with a binocular
  • 5 were made naked-eye

Future Appulses of Note
19Nov0718’ away from α Per
22Jan0810’ away from β Per
6Mar08half way between ε Per and ξ Per
3May087’ away from M38

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.