13 November 2007

11 November 2007

Observing LocationMO
Observational Period0045-0145 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature36°’F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityHigh
Feels LikeRaw cold

When I got out of the sea chanty sing I looked up and the sky looked clear although I wasn’t seeing many stars in the light pollution of lower Manhattan. The same was the case when I got home and found that the fluorescent lights from the subway were washing everything out. When I got home I put on some warmer clothes and went out, but I didn’t put on enough clothes for the conditions and left right after observing the comet. Despite the floodlights up at the oval the sky looked a lot clearer up there and I was seeing a lot of stars naked eye and the Alpha Perseus Association and the Hyades both looked very crisp. I think there was probably some atmosphere there that I wasn’t sensing since the air was very moist and the sidewalks were still wet from whenever the last rain was.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
InstrumentsGolden Gate 7x35 binocular – Charlie SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071111.0045 EST
2007 Nov 11.24 UT
CommentsPerseus was standing on his head.

ObjectMag.Description
α Per1.79brighter
β Per2.09brighter
γ Per2.91dimmer
δ Per3.01brighter
ε Per2.90brighter
&seta; Per2.84brighter
ε Cas3.35brighter
ι Aur2.69dimmer
17P/Holmes~3.40 
η Cas3.46dimmer
ζ Cas3.69dimmer
θ Aur3.72dimmer
ο Per3.84dimmer
θ Per4.10dimmer

PowerFoVCountDia
21.6x2.3°7.253.2°
43.2~1°3.33°
Average0.323°
19.8'
19'48"

I started to search for Ceres but am not familiar with the constellation Cetus and since the sky was turned upside down from what I am used to and I was already chilled I gave up on trying to



Observing LocationMO
Observational Period2030-2200 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature41°’F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCool

There was a patch of cloud that passed over Per and Cas while I was observing there and caused me to have to stop for aq couple of minutes but otherwise it was clear.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
InstrumentsGolden Gate 7x35 binocular – Charlie SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071111.2030 EST
2007 Nov 12.06 UT
CommentsPerseus was standing on his head.

ObjectMag.Description
α Per1.79brighter
β Per2.09brighter
θ Aur2.65brighter
ι Aur2.69brighter
ζ Per2.84dimmer
ε Per2.90brighter
γ Per2.91dimmer
δ Per3.01brighter
ε Aur3.03dimmer
η Aur3.81dimmer
ρ Per3.32dimmer
17P/Holmes~3.34 
ε Cas3.35brighter
ζ Aur3.69dimmer
ζ Cas3.69dimmer
δ Aur3.72dimmer
η Per3.77dimmer
ν Per3.77dimmer
κ Per3.79dimmer
ο Per3.84dimmer
τ Per3.93dimmer
ξ Per3.98dimmer
θ Per4.10dimmer
μ Per4.12dimmer
ψ Per4.32dimmer
σ Per4.36dimmer
λ Cas4.79dimmer

PowerFoVCountDia
21.6x2.3°60.43°
22.8’
22’48”
43.2~1°3.50.29°
17.4'
17'24"
The disparity between the low power and the high power views was too great today for me to average them with confidence. The comet is very faint with the Barlow installed and I am not sure that my count is good at that magnification. So I am relying totally on the low power view.

TargetCeres
ConstellationCet
CategoryDwarf Planet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071111.2200 EST
CommentsCeres wasn't anything impressive, just another faint star.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.