30 October 2007

28 September 2007

Observing LocationHos
Observational Period2030-2045 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature50°F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCool

It looks clear out but I think there is cloud up there that I am not seeing.

TransparencyFair
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target17P/Holmes
ConstellationPer
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20071028.2030 EDT
CommentsI think I saw the comet tonight but am not absolutely certain which point of light it was. I saw a bright star low in the sky that I believe was Capella although I never found the Kids. I found α, β, and ρ Per. There was a bright star between α Per and α Aur that I suspect was 17P/Holmes, but it seemed to far away from α Per. Even with the binodular I could not see the Fishhook or the Alpha Perseus Association. There was a photo in Space Weather today showing the relative size of Jupiter and 17P/Holmes if they were at the same distance from Earth and the comet would be the bigger of the two taking into account the luminous gas/water/dust around the core.

SpaceWeather.com graphic

ObjectDistance from Earth
17p/Holmes1.63 AU
Jupiter5.97 AU

It is reported that people are claiming to have seen (from a dark sky location) the cloud naked-eye so I am anxious to see what I can see from here.

17P/Holmes will stay in Per for a while longer then move into Aur and finally into Gem before it is on the horizon in late July. But there is no telling how long it will remain this bright. It is reported to have brightened like this back in 1892(?) which is what lead to its discovery. There is no mention in the literature I have read of it ever having exhibited a tail.

28Oct07-8Apr08Per
9Apr08-16Jun08Aur
17Jun08-23Jul08Gem

On the ride home on the #7 train through Queens the air over the City was crystal clear and the illuminated buildings look crisp and beautiful.

When I got home I could only see three stars: Fomalhout, Aldeberan and ?, and there were all low in the sky. The Moon looked nice, but I was tired from two days of intense armature radio work in a contest so without the comet being visible I decided to stay home and finish off the book I was reading.

Tonight it is supposed to be the coldest night of the season.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.