I got alerted to a new comet by the Guild of Manhattan Sidewalk Astronomers and the NY Sidewalk Astronomers groups at Yahoo. 17P/Holmes is brightening in the Fishhook of Perseus and is around Mag 2.8, another naked-eye comet. Unfortunately we will not be seeing this well placed comet soon as the weather for the foreseeable future is the pits. The comet has not appeared on the recent comet sightings web page yet and the explanatory page referenced by the group mailings is missing so I don't know if this is expected to be a brief flareup or a prolonged event.
| JDT | 2454240.5 |
| q | 2.053169 |
| e | 0.432429 |
| Perihelion | 24.2585 |
| Node | 326.8675 |
| Inclination | 19.1132 |
|---|
| Period | 6.88 years |
| Observing Location | PSC & MetOval |
| Observational Period | 1100-0030 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Scattered Clouds |
| Temperature | 55°F |
| Wind | Calm gusting to Gentle Breeze |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Feels Like | Cool |
I was about to go to bed and the sky outside was very bright so I opened the curtain and the Moon was in a big hole in the clouds and it looked clear out to the E so I got dressed and went out for the comet. While standing on the oval at PCS it was gusty and I was in a blizzard of falling leaves. I located the comet but was being blown around so much that I wasn’t getting a good view of it with the small binocular, and didn’t want to sit on the benches since it had been raining, so went home and got SAR and headed up to MetOval. The oval there is more exposed but the air was calmer. I don’t know if it was a difference in the wind or if it was just being channeled between the buildings around PSC.
The rain seemed to have cleared out the atmosphere and the air was stable.
|
| Instruments | Brunton 8x21 compact binocular - Charlie
SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
- Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
- Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
|
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | 17P/Holmes |
| Constellation | Per |
| Category | Comet |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20071025.2300 EDT |
| Comments | The comet is an easily seen naked-eye object that just looks like another star which is confusing the constellation. It is on a line between α Per and λ Per, about 1/3 of the way from Λ Per, the barb of the fishhook. It has a bright core with a transparent halo around it that is displaced to the N. There is no tail evident. It is not as bright as α Per and is brighter than δ Per and ρ Per.
Cartes du Ciel graphic
| α Per | 1.79 |
| 17P/Holmes | 2.? |
| δ Per | 3.01 |
| ρ Per | 3.32 |
|
|---|
|
| Target | Moon |
| Constellation | Ari |
| Category | Lunar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20071025.0000 EDT |
| Comments |
| Lunation | 1049 |
|---|
| Phase | Waxing Gibbous Full – 0h52m |
|---|
| Age | 14d22h58m |
Distance Light Time (from earth) | 351.826 km 1.17s |
| Elongation | 175.7° E |
| % Illuminated | 99.9% |
| Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E) | 90.2° |
| Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W) | 270.2° |
| Libration in Latitude | -5°06’ |
| Libration in Longitude | -0°49’ |
| Magnitude | -12.8 |
| Angular Size | 33.96' |
| Altitude | 64°40’ |
| Virtual Moon Atlas graphic |
This is the largest Full Moon of the year. There is still some lumpiness on the southern limb between Grimaldi and Langrenous. I see lots of stark white spots freckling Mare Insularum, Mare Cognitum, Mare Nubium and the sotuthern part of Oceanus Procelarum. The mountains beneath Plato are also bright white. The ejecta blanket around Kepler is obvious in this lighting. It looks like Mare Australe is visible below Langrenous. |
|
| Target | Mars |
| Constellation | Gem |
| Category | Planet |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20071026.0020 EDT |
| Comments |
Object Class | Classical Planet |
|---|
| Elongation | 112.5° |
Distance Light Time (from Earth) | 0.806 AU ms |
Distance (from Sun) | 1.50 AU |
| Angular Size | 11.6" |
| Magnitude | -0.5 |
| Central Meridian | 103° |
| Altitude | 25.8° |
As I was packing up I noticed something bright and orange coming from behind a tree and apartment building. It was Mars which I looked at in the binocular since the scope was already mostly packed and would not have provided much of an improvement on the view anyway. The planet is still nowhere as big as the Moon.
|
|
I was able to see six stars of the Pleiades.
<< Home