24 October 2007

24 October 2007

Based on the respective tables in the Observer’s Handbook 2008.

On all of these charts R.A. is depicted as a minus value so that R.A. 0h appears to the west.

Stars

Bright Stars Outside the Milky Way
brighter than Mag 138%mostly below
Mag 135%mostly above
Mag 250%fairly evenly split
Mag 333%fairly evenly split

Stars btighter than Mag 4. The list includes some double stars which are too close to assess individually and in these cases a combined magnitude is used. Some of the stars listed are variables and brightness values differ from source to source.

There is an area just above the Milky Way between R.A. 3h and R.A.7h that is about the only area of the sky that is conspicuously devoid of bright stars.

In this chart smaller circles represent closer stars.

The closest star if Proxima at 4.22 ly. The most distant star in the chart is BD-21°1377 at 18.82 ly.

Excel seems to want to have a small circle and a large circle and range the other values between them and it makes for a difficult to read chart. I wish there were a way to graph in three dimensions.

There is a stripe of bright stars that generally follows the celestial equator but snakes back and forth between -60° and +30° between R.A. 0h and R.A. 12h. There are then vertical bars of bright stars centered on R.A. 12h and R.A. 18h. The area around R.A. 15h is devoid of close galaxies with the exception of the two brightest stars, Proxima (4.22 ly) and α Centauri (4.4 ly).

Galaxies

The 40 brightest galaxies.

The two brightest galaxies, the Large Magellanic Cloud and Small Magellanic Cloud (Mag 0.63 and Mag 2.78 respectively) are well in the southern hemisphere. The bulk of the galaxies are Mag 8 and Mag 9 and are centered in bands around R.A. 1h and R.A. 12h. Of the nearly 50 galaxies charted only 5 are within the boundaries of the Milky Way.

The 25 nearest galaxies to our own which compirse the Local Group.

Most of the near galaxies are centered around R.A. 1-2h, but the nearest of the near galaxies are distributed across the R.A.s but appear to favor declinations near + or – 60°, the exception being the Sagittarius galaxy at -30°.

It isn’t possible to combine chart types in Excel so I can’t add the Milky Way to this or the Nearest Stars chart.

Radio Sources

A representative sample of the various radio sources

Since this chart displays representative samples of all the various types of radio sources no inference can be drawn as to the distribution of radio sources in the celestial sphere.



The long period variable star R Cas is scheduled to be at peak brightness (Mag 7.0) on 30Oct07 (+/-2-3 weeks) and cam remain at that brightness for several weeks before fading back to its minimum brightness (Mag 12.6). The subsequent maximum brightness is scheduled for 21Dec08. Since Cassiopeia is essentially circumpolar we should be able to watch the star go through a complete cycle. It will drop below SAR's limiting magnitude when it is getting close to it's dimmest.

R Cas
HIP 9066
TYC 4009-00607-1
SAO 35938
BD+50°4202
R.A.23h53m
Dec.50

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.