25 September 2007

25 September 2007

The Old Farmer’s Almanac is predicting a “major hurricane” along the east coast somewhere between Richmond, VA, and Boston, MA, during the period 27-30Sep07.

So far I haven’t heard anything about this so I went to my usual weather sources to see if they agree.

My first stop for weather, as always, was NOAA and their weather graph for the NYC area. I had to past three of them together to cover the timeframe and it is so wide that it doesn’t look like much when it is shrunk up to fit this column, but there is less than 0.75” of rain forecast on Thursday and Friday, hardly even a tropical storm.


NOAA National Weather Service graphic

The Weather Channel is showing some thunderstorms on Thursday but otherwise some sun each day during the remainder of the period.


The Weather Channel graphic

AccuWeather says thunderstorms Thursday afternoon and night but otherwise mostly clear.


AccuWeather graphic

Weather Underground is saying 60% chance of rain on Thursday and 50% chance on Friday followed by a clear Saturday.


Weather Underground graphic

And for the ultimate in long range detailed precipitation prognostication I checked DryDay.com where they make their forecast 18 months in advance and never change it. They are saying a high chance of rain on Thursday, a higher chance on Friday, only a chance on Saturday and a low chance on Sunday.


DryDay.comgraphic

So where is this hurricane?

I checked in with the National Hurricane Center and found that Tropical Depression 11 developed late last night and was upgraded to Tropical Storm Karen early this morning. It is down near the equator between Africa and South America and isn’t even expected to make it up to Bermuda by Sunday.


NOAA National Hurricane Center graphic

The almanac also said that for 20-26Sep07 we would have rain then cool and during that period we have had above average temperatures and only 0.33” of rain on the afternoon of 22Sep07.

The Old Farmer’s Almanac got it right at the beginning of the month but lost it at the end.



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2115-0100 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature77° - 73° F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeMild

The wind started out light but at around 2200 EDT again tonight it picked up and became variable and gusty. It was predominantly out of the south. I got out the RadioShack anemometer and clocked a peak at 20 right after an even stronger one that prompted me to dig the instrument out, and I think it reads on the conservative side. The weather history I use on Weather Underground does not show any gusts during the period and only has winds of a Light Breeze category. I think it is windier at TotL than it is elsewhere because there is so much open space across the Lawn to the south. As soon as you start to walk east to leave the park the wind diminishes and is nearly absent when you get out onto the City streets. The NOAA observatory is up on a hill behind Belvedere Castle but there are trees all around it so the anemometer there is protected from the wind. I checked the conditions at LaGuardia Airport and they did not show any gusts but their sustained winds were more in line with those I observed.

It was clear but not transparent. I had to find Mirfak in order to locate Algol each time wanted to compare its brightness to that of ρ Per. The fishhook was not visible and neither was most of the steeple and right side of Perseus. I saw between three and five of the Pleiades and only one or two of the Hyades. μ Cas wasn’t visible until the constellation was high overhead at the end of the observing session.

Seeing was rock solid. I did not detect any wavering on the moon when the scope wasn’t being buffeted by the wind. The wind kept trying to tear the shroud off the scope and I finally gave up on replacing it and found that the scope was much less affected by the wind with the lessened surface area.

TransparencyFair
SeeingI
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
- w/Baader AstroSolar filter film w/Baader AstroSolar filter film Nikon 6x15 Monocular II (7.5° TFoV) - Kin
This is a handy little instrument that Kin has had out before but which I have never spent much time with. There isn’t a lot of magnification there or aperture either so it isn’t great for stargazing but Kin says it is great during the daytime. He has used it with an orange solar filter and says he can see large sunspots with it. It is a wide, flat form factor that fits comfortably in both hands and can be held surprisingly steady. It has a rotation magnifying lens (9x total) that converts it into a microscope that fills the FoV with a penny. It feels light and cheap since it is plastic ( their web site says titanium and polycarbonate) but the MSRP is $140 (street price $90). Nikon makes two barrel-shaped monoculars, one with less magnification (5x) and the other with more (7x) and the same aperture that sell for over $300.
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

TargetJupiter
ConstellationOph
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070925.2120 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation70.9°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
5.52 AU
45m57s
Distance
(from Sun)
5.28 AU
Angular Size35.6"x33.3"
Magnitude-2.0
Central Meridian
I/II
321°/346°
Altitude7.1°
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic
I set up on Jupiter since it was already low in the schmutz of the western horizon and would soon be setting behind the buildings. At 22x I was able to see one moon out to the west, probably Ganymede based solely on size, and Kin thought he might have seen Europe off to the East. At 42x we were not able to see any moons.

TargetMoon
ConstellationPsc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070925.2130 EDT
Comments
Lunation1048
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Full -17h18m
Age14d12h45m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
360,009 km
1.2s
Elongation169.3°
% Illuminated99.1%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)83.3°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)263.3°
Libration in Latitude-1°00’
Libration in Longitude-3°40’
Magnitude-12.6
Angular Size33’17"
Altitude33.6°

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic
The Moon was so bright and the contrast so low that it was hard to see much. There is still lumpiness along the western limb and I was able to identify Montes Cordillera and Montes Rook (in Mare Orientale). I could see something on the limb further to the south but was not able to figure out what it was because the reference features were too washed out to allow for geometric location.

TargetAlgol Minimum
ConstellationPer
CategoryVariable Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070925.2230 EDT
CommentsI set up on Algol, β Per. and ρ Per to watch Algol fade. I found that both stars were just visible in the 22x FoV being just inside opposite sides of the field stop. I have performed a drift test and determined the TFoV of the 20mm Omni when used in SAR to be 2.3°. Planetarium informs me that Algol and ρ Per are 2.2° apart. They are too far apart to see comfortably in the eyepiece and definitely too far apart to make a good relative brightness estimate. At times I felt that one was brighter and at times the other; most of the time they appeared about equal brightness naked-eye. At the beginning of the observation Algol appeared slightly brighter telescopically and the same was true by around 0030 EDT when I stopped observing to take a last look at the Moon before the sprinklers came on.

Starry Night Starter graphic
S&T recommends comparing Algol with γ Andromidae and ε Persei to get a brightness estimate.
StarMagnitude
Algol2.1 - 3.4
γ And2.1
ε Per2.9
S&T article
Algol is at its minimum brightness for about two hours so I observed it during that time and should have not detected much variation.

Our next chances to see Algol go to minimum will be 15-16Oct07 (minimum at 16Oct07 @ 0112 EDT) and 18Oct07 (minimum at 2201 EDT) when we will have a chance to see it fade and brighten.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.