09 July 2007

7 July 2007

Observing LocationHOS
Observational Period1100-1115 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
with haze
Temperature79°F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeWarm and moist

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
Constellation
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.066666 AU
8ms
Angular Size31'30.8"
Altitude59.1°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
3.54°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
142.29°
Position Angle
(P)
+0.12°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2058

Group 961 is still there but even with the big binocular I can’t see it.

The sun’s axis will be aligned with the celestial poles today at 1300. I am guessing that that is why the sun’s position angle went from negative to positive this morning.

It was aphelion last night at 2000 EDT. The Sun should gradually ge3et closer and larger.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationTotL east
Observational Period2130-0045 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear with haze
becoming
Clear
Temperature78°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeVery pleasant

There was just the right combination of temperature, humidity and wind to make it a very pleasant night to be standing outside. It started off very hazy with and cleared off as the night progressed.

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070707.2130 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
hm
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size16.6"
Ring
Angular
Size
"x"
Ring
Inclination
°
Magnitude+0.6
Altitude11°

Starry Night Starter graphic
Saturn was just in the same FoV with Venus if you really mashed your eyes into the eyecups and stretched your eye’s limits. I concentrated on it until it sank into the trees. It had an orange hue to it. I was able to see it naked-eye just above the limit of the haze. I was not able to see any of its moons.

Starry Night Starter graphic
That is ψ Leo next to Saturn and ν Leo next to Venus, neither of which were seen.

TargetVenus
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070707.2130 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Elongation°
% Illuminated30.2%
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size35.0"
Magnitude-4.5
Altitude°

Meridian graphic
Venus was very bright and appeared flattened on the NW limb with a strong red chromatic aberration in the flare there. It looked like a bowler hat that is tipped over on its side. I watched it until it disappeared into the trees a good bit further south than where Saturn had disappeared.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationOph
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070707.2330 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size44.4"
Magnitude-2.5
Central Meridian
I/II
339.67°/254.79°
Altitude26°
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic
All of the moons of Jupiter were arrayed on the western side of the planet. I didn’t realize it at the time, and wouldn’t have been able to have see it in my binocular had I known to look for it, but Ganymede’s shadow was transiting.

I had a sense that Callisto was moving away from Jupiter and getting closer to Io, but looking at the locations of the bodies in Starry Night Starter I found that Callisto moved the least of all the moons and actually Io was moving away from it and Jupiter toward it. I created an Excel graph to show the relative motion of the planet and its moons. To get everything to display properly I had to enter the RA as negative values.

Object2130 RA0030 RAMovement
Jupiter16h 39.225m16h 39.175m3.00s
Io16h 39.079m16h 39.022m3.42s
Europa16h 38.978m16h 38.934m2.64s
Ganymede16h 39.176m16h 39.086m5.40s
Callisto16h 39.107m16h 39.092m0.90s

TargetAntares
ConstellationSco
CategoryStar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070707.2315 EDT
CommentsAntares looked like a glowing ember. I knew that there was a Messier object, M4, in the area below Antares but I couldn’t remember whether it was closer to ο Sco or to τ Sco so I didn’t spend a lot of time searching for it. It was not a night to look for globular clusters in the haze anyway.

Targetω1 Sco & ω2 Sco
ConstellationSco
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070707.2330 EDT
CommentsI could make out the double at about the same brightness level as I remembered Saturn having been.

Targetν Sco
ConstellationSco
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070707.2330 EDT
CommentsThe double was easily seen with dark sky between the two components. I could detect a faint orange color in the secondary but George says he doesn’t see colors well and could not make it out.

TargetGraffias
ConstellationSco
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070707.2330 EDT
CommentsIf I had not known that this was a double star I probably whould have missed it. Graffias, β1 Sco, and β2 Sco are too close together to split cleanly in my binocular. Graffias looks slightly elongated and there is a bit of blue where the secondary is.

George arrived shortly after I did. We spent part of the night looking at the planets and the double stars in the head of Scorpius, but most of the time was spent in talking about or previous travels. George has been to most of the places I have been, and many more besides. He is leaving on Monday for a week in Tibet. Around midnight or so another bike rider stopped as we were talking about Chile and was telling us about his native Argentina. It turns out that when I was on my boat tour in Chile we used an airport that was actually across the border in Argentina and I have never known it. I knew we were at the top of the world on a road where you could look down on both sides so had been seeing Chile on the left and Argentina on the right.

When I arrived home I could the waxing Gibbous Moon shining down the street as I walked up toward my building. There was a ring of illuminated haze around it.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.