31 July 2007

27 July 07

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2000-2315 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
becoming
Overcast
Temperature75°F
WindCalm
HumidityHigh
Feels LikeMild but moist

When I left home it looked clear out, but from the subway I could see heavy clouds out to the west. I was on the way so kept going. It was another night like the last when the clouds kept opening up and filling in again. Not worth the trip.

TransparencyPoor to none
SeeingIII
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • ~24mm Kellner w/helical focuser (18x)
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetC/2006 VZ13 (LINEAR)
ConstellationCom
CategoryComet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070727.2130 EDT
CommentsI had looked up the RA and Dec of the comet in Cartes du Ciel for 2130 EDT and right on schedule a gap in the clouds appeared in the area of Bootes. I was in the process of hopping down to 70 Virginis when the clouds filled in again and I didn’t get another break the rest of the night.

TargetMoon
ConstellationSgr
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070727.2200 EDT
Comments
Lunation1046
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age17.22d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
385,778 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated96.5%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)70.8
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)250.8
Libration in Latitude6°32’
Libration in Longitude-4°45’
Magnitude-12.64
Angular Size30.97'
Altitude19°

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic
The Moon was in the teapot tonight but you couldn’t prove it by me. Most of the night I was looking at it through a veil of clouds.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationOph
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070727.2230 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size42.4"
Magnitude-2.4
Central Meridian
I/II
294.36°/56.57°
Altitude25°
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic
Io was missing tonight. It turns out it was just going into occultation and too close to the planet for me to see it. The other three moons were lined up on the east side of the planet.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.