| Observing Location | VP |
| Observational Period | 1200-1215 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | ? w/heavy haze |
| Temperature | 81°F |
| Wind | Calm |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Feels Like | Hot and humid |
NOAA says it is clear but it looks like there are some darker puffs of white up there in some areas than in others and when I look at the sun I can see patches of denser atmosphere moving past it.
|
| Instruments | Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Solar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20070726.1200 EDT |
| Comments |
Distance Light Time | 1.015599 AU 8ms |
| Angular Size | 31'32.7" |
| Altitude | 65.4° |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | 5.33° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 250.33° |
Position Angle (P) | 8.47° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2059 |
Active Region Explorer says Group 961 is still there but Space Weather doesn’t and all I can see on the SOHO image is a broad area of plage. I don’t see anything in my little binocular.
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| South | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Total | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
|
|---|
|
I found this story about NASA wanting to bring rocks back from Mars and people being worried that other space missions are going to suffer because of it. I think they have reason to be worried. Already NASA is talking about wanting to add a collection capability to already planned missions which is going to mean redesign of the hardware. If you add the new hardware you are going to have to take something out to make room for it and to get it there within the fuel budget. That means that something is going to have to be left behind so we can pick up rocks and store them in a rover that is not going to come back from Mars. If all we want to do is proove we can pick up rocks and put them in a filing cabinet why don't we do that here on Earth? The technology that was developed for the present rovers is working perfectly well and it was developed right here and not tested in space before it was first used. This proposal seems to be a huge waste of money to me.
| Observing Location | Bryant Park, New York, NY |
| Observational Period | 1800-1830 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
There were heavy, puffy clouds covering the whole sky. I hoped a whole might appear, but it didn't.
|
| Instruments | Naked-eye Observing |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Daytime Iridium Flare |
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20070726.1832 EDT |
| Comments | I was still on my quest for a daytime Irridium flare. Iridium 6 was supposed to flare at Mag 7.7 tonight at 1832 but I couldn’t even see where the sun was through the clouds. |
|---|
|
<< Home