21 July 2007

20 July 2007

Observing LocationSIBL
Observational Period1745-1800 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverOvercast
Temperature76°F
WindStrong Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

The sky is mostly covered by a big gray cloud that looks like it wants to rain. There is nice blue sky in the breaks in the cloud. I had to move around to see the Sun between buildings and breaks in the cloud and ended up getting my best view from in front of the gem shop across the street from the library.

TransparencyPoor
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070720.1745 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.016144 AU
8ms
Angular Size31'31.8"
Altitude27.6°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
4.84°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
326.54°
Position Angle
(P)
6.03°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2059

Space Weather says Group 963 is still there on the limb but even in the high resolution SOHO image all I can make out is an area of plage. Active Region Explorer says the spot has already rotated onto the back side of the sun and that Group 961 is about to reemerge. I can’t see anything.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period2000-2245 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature72°F
WindCalm to Light Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

When I got home it was still clear out and the Moon was high in the S so I grabbed SAR and stopped off for Chinese take-out on my way up to the oval. It was a little chilly just standing there.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • ~24mm Kellner w/helical focuser (18x)
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationOph
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070720.2000 EDT
Comments
Lunation
PhaseWaxing Crescent
Age6.50d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
400,198 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated38.2%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)344.7°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)164.7°
Libration in Latitude4°43’
Libration in Longitude1°36’;
Magnitude-11.58
Angular Size29'86"
Altitude31°11’
Moons
Virtual Moon Atlas graphic
The Moon was to the lower right of Spica tonight by about 4 finger widths.
18x (Kellner)
There are still obvious horns on the upper and lower limbs.
My eye was immediately drawn to Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina even before I noticed the maria. Rupes Altai, that Altai Scarp was close by.
In the north Aristoteles, Eudoxus and Calippus straddle the terminator. Callipus is wholly inside the terminator but the top of its wall is fully illuminated.
Menelaus is right on the terminator.
21x (Celestron Omni)
Plinius, Jansen and Sinas and Sinas E are arcing out across Mare Tranquillitatis
Way up north I can see Hercules and Atlas
After that some kids stopped by and I let them look and then I had the whole family and a groups of others. By the time most of the people had gone so had the Moon, down behind the trees and buildings.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationOph
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070720.2200 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size43.1"
Magnitude-2.4
Central Meridian
I/II
250.91°/66.68°
Altitude26°
Moons
Meridian graphic
Three moons were lined up to the left of the planet, Ganymede, Europa and Io close by, and one moon, Callisto, was off to the right with ω Oph a little further out looking like a fifth moon. I could not see any texture on the disk of the planet even at 43x.

TargetHead of Scorpius
ConstellationSco
CategoryDouble Stars
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070720.2230 EDT
CommentsAfter everyone had left, and I was tired of looking at Jupiter, I moved around a bit more and could see the head of Scorpius so tried for the double stars there.
  • Graffias, β1 Sco and βSub>2 Sco, was difficult to split. Sthe secondary star was right at the end of the comet tail of the primary, but I could definitely see it.
  • ν Sco was a lot easier and looked like to little comets.

TargetAlberio
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070720.2240 EDT
CommentsI could see Alberio through a gap in the trees so gave it a try and dropped the scope right on it. It looked like two small comets side by side, one red and the other blue, pointed at the horizon.

TargetSummer Triangle
Constellation
CategoryAsterism
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070720.2245 EDT
CommentsMoving around the oval I got a more open view of the sky and up near Zenith I could see Vega and a little lower Deneb and Altair.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.