12 July 2007
| Observing Location | VP & SIBL I spent all my time on the first observation studying the group’s structure and forgot to note it’s location so had to take another look. | ||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 1100-1115 & 1200-1215 EDT | ||||||||||||||
| Atmospheric Conditions |
It looks like somebody pushed the wrong button and let a good day sneak in among the string of bad ones. There is a beautiful blue sky out there now and it is supposed to hold through sunset tonight when there might be another Manhattan Henge event.
| ||||||||||||||
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie Nikon CoolPix 990 digital camera - Charlie | ||||||||||||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
The other day Space Weather reported that comet 2006 VZ13 (LINEAR) is a binocular object in Draco and appears green.
Vincent Jacques graphic from Space Weather
Seiichi Yoshida graphic
Seiichi Yoshida graphic
| Observing Location | Park Ave @ 34 St, New York, NY | ||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2000-2030 EDT | ||||||||||||||
| Atmospheric Conditions |
It looks like there is a bit of haze up there. The pictures show that there were some clouds low on the NJ horizon.
| ||||||||||||||
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie | ||||||||||||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
|
| Observing Location | TotL
I started out at TotLeast and after observing Saturn and Venus for a bit there noticed Peter at TotL so moved over to join him. | ||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2100-0130 EDT | ||||||||||||||
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| ||||||||||||||
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular – Charlie
Takahashi 102 refractor – Peter | ||||||||||||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
I easily found Saturn naked eye as soon as I arrived on location and observed it until it had passed most of the way down to the trees. I was not able to locate Titan.
Venus was obviously flattened on one side. A woman who stopped to look reported seeing a strong red color there but I did not pick it up myself.
I could see three moons lined up on the western limb of the planet.
Starry Night Starter graphic
When I moved over to Peter he reported a moon shadow in transit on the NEB and later thought he saw a moon just off the limb around the NEB. I could see the small perfect black dot of the moon’s shadow but was not able to pick up the moon itself. A little while later he said he thought he saw the moon separating from the planet and when I looked I could see a white pimple on Jupiter’s limb just above where the NEB would have touched the limb if I had been able to have seen it.
Starry Night Starter graphic
The main reason for coming to the park tonight was to try to spot Comet 2006 VZ13 (LINEAR) while it is still bright and before it moves too close to the sun to be seen. We made a more-than-valiant effort but could not find it. I didn’t have any reference materials so was having trouble finding my way around the sky. Peter had put the ephemeris data into Planetarium and had the comet located near ι Dra, which is where I thought it should be based on my remembrance of the locator chart I had seen earlier in the day, and also over near the club of Bootes. We looked both places and didn’t find anything. That area of the sky was very high and it was painful looking there either with the binocular or the telescope. I was wishing I had brought SAR tonight. We ended up stretched out on the sidewalk looking straight up with our respective binoculars.
We ended the night looking at a globular cluster in Sagittarius. Peter thought it was brighter in his binocular than in the telescope. In the scope I could see two faint fuzzies that I thought might be something and one of them was the cluster. The other wasn’t seen by Peter and probably wasn’t by me either.
We were all packed up and ready to go around 0130 when a police car came onto the walk from the west. There were some other people to the west of us a short distance away so they got the talking to about being in the park after curfew while we moved off toward the exit. It is always the women cops.
<< Home