01 June 2007

1 June 2007

And since all this loveliness can not be Heaven, I know in my heart it is June.

Abba Goold Woolson

June (Junius): from the Latin, junores, "young people", which might be a reference to the fertility festivals that were held around the Summer Solstice.



Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1100-1115 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
but very hazy
Temperature79°F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels Likehot and humid

The sky is mostly white with clouds and haze and it already feels hot and moist. They are saying we may have thunderstorms the next few days.

TransparencyPoor
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationTau
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070601.1100 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.013963 AU
8ms
Angular Size31'35.8"
Altitude60.0°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-0.64°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
258.79°
Position Angle
(P)
-15.35°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2057

Given the weather and the size of the group that was there yesterday I didn’t expect to see anything today so only brought my small binocular, which means I have less of chance of seeing anything that might be there. I didn’t see anything and checking the SOHO image I see that the group is now just plage so haven’t missed anything.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Space Shuttle Atlantis is scheduled to be launched on mission STS-117 next Friday, 8Jun07 at 1938 EDT. That means it should fly past the NYC area about 8 minutes later with the main engines still burning. As it passes off to our NE we should see ME at 7:47 (per CalSky).

The last time the Shuttle launched I observed it in a dark sky from Wagner Park where it disappeared into buildings before MECO. I think that Battery Park or maybe the South Street Seaport will be better locations for observing, but it will be difficult since the Shuttle flies over the takeoff path of Newark Airport at only about 8° altitude, making it hard to tell the difference between it and a plane. Binoculars will be needed for the identification and possibly even to see the Shuttle in the daylight sky (sunset is at 2025 EDT).

For each day the launch is delayed the launch time will be moved forward by about 48 minutes in the day so any delays will cause the shuttle to launch earlier in daylight and make spotting it even more difficult. The launch window extends through 19Jun07 and possible launch times can be found at Spaceflight Now.

The Shuttle will rendezvous and dock with ISS on flight day 3, Sunday (10Jun07 1619 EDT per CalSky).

Heavens Above lists the following ISS visible passes for Central Park around that timeframe.

8Jun079Jun0710Jun07
2155
0107
2217
2353
2102
 
11Jun0712Jun0713Jun07
0013
2124
2300
0034
2320
2206
2340
We may have an opportunity to see the craft chase each other across the sky or fly in close formation (best chance on the 9th [if they launch on schedule] but they are short, low passes).

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.