| Observing Location | SIBL |
| Observational Period | 1115-1130 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 71°F |
| Wind | Light Breeze |
| Humidity | Low |
| Feels Like | Warm |
It is clear but I don’t think the sky is as clear as it should be and suspect high cirrus, especially since we are supposed to get rain tomorrow.
|
| Instruments | Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Solar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20070515.1115 EDT |
| Comments |
Distance Light Time | 1.010862 AU 8ms |
| Angular Size | 31'41.6" |
| Altitude | 60.3° |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | -2.64° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 123.56° |
Position Angle (P) | -20.91° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2056 |
The sun entered Taurus at 1249 EDT yesterday.
Group 995 is still there and Group 956 has developed on the western limb where I observed an area of plage last night. Both of these groups are too small for me to see them without more magnification and image stabilization.
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| South | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Total | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
|
|---|
|
| Observing Location | Parkchester, New York, NY |
| Observational Period | 2040-2100 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 77°F |
| Wind | Gentle Breeze |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Feels Like | very warm |
When I came outside to go to dinner at 1900 EST it felt very warm and the air smelled moist like it was about to rain. It was very windy. When I got home I could see a layer of haze/cloud on the western horizon in the late twilight sky.
|
| Instruments | Brunton 8x21 compact binocular - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
The weather is too windy to do any serious observing so I decided to try for Mercury from around the house. I got messed up on the subway on the way home and got there later than I had hoped. I tried to see Mercury from the end of the subway platform but the trees have leafed out and I can no longer see the horizon in that direction, I ran down to White Plains Road over the Cross Bronx Expressway and gave it a try from there but there is too much atmosphere and Mercury might already have been below my horizon from that location. I was able to see Mercury and Saturn, but not the evening star.
<< Home