10 April 2007

9 April 2007

Observing LocationPier 17, New York, NY
Observational Period1245-1300 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature42°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeChilly

There were some low cotton balls to the SW but the one that was in front of the Sun moved through quickly.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationPsc
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2007 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.9 AU
8ms
Angular Size32'"
Altitude57°32
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-6.03°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
238.40°
Position Angle
(P)
-26.26°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2055

Another day of no spots.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationPier 17, New York, NY
Observational Period2040-2115 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature40°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeChilly

There were some low cotton balls to the SW but the one that was in front of the Sun moved through quickly.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 42 Flare
ConstellationSex
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070409.2045 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
This was definitely bright enough (mag -3) that I should have noticed it even if I had not been looking right at it. I could see from Arcturus all the way over to Sirius so shouldn’t have missed it.

TargetISS
ConstellationLeo
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070409.2110 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
The ISS was supposed to pass close to Regulus at mag 1.2 which is slightly brighter than regulus itself (mag 1.3) so it also should have been seen.
My prediction data came from CalSky late last week and it is possible that the position of ISS has been changed since then for the arriving Progress capsule but the Iridium should have been there.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.