20 April 2007

19 April 2007

Observing LocationNorth Cove, Battery Park City, New York, NY
Observational Period1900-1935 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken Clouds
Temperature60°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeA little cool

Aloft there were two decks of clouds. Up high there was some broken stratus and down low there were fast moving cumulus heading to the south. The breeze was coming in off the water and was a little cool because of that. Between the clouds there was blue sky, there just wasn’t a lot of between the clouds.

TransparencyPoor
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye observing - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon & Venus
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070419.1940 EDT
Comments
Moon
Lunation
Phase
Age
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
,000 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated%
Magnitude-10.25
Angular Size33’
Altitude34°4’
Venus
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Phase
Elongation°
% Illuminated72.5%
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size15"
Magnitude-4.06
Altitude37°37’
I started looking for the Moon as the Sun was getting low on the horizon but didn’t see it until just about sunset when I started scanning up the ecliptic in case I had been looking too low. Fortunately I was looking too low and there was the smiling Moon in a break in the clouds. Space Weather made it sound like Venus would be on top of it, they mentioned conjunction which I take to mean either on the same meridian, the in the same longitude or within 1° of each other and these two bodies were none of the above. I had quickly looked at a sky chart of the event so realized that Venus would be out to the left of the Moon so started scanning there and easily located it. I estimated it to be about four pinky-widths distant which would be about 2°, but in Starry Night it appears much closer. I did not notice any earthshine that early in the evening but since there were clouds beneath the Moon I went to dinner instead of waiting for it to become visible.

Starry Night Starter graphic

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.