28 March 2007

27 March 2007

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2115-0015 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear to Scattered Clouds
but transparent cirrus
Temperature47°F
WindCalm
gusting to
Gentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeA moist cool.

It was clear when I arrived but mostly low clouds kept moving through the area. Even when they reached the Moon they were not thick enough to be noticeable. We broke down a bit early because it was getting cloudier than Peter wanted to observe through although we probably could have stayed until curfew without problems. When I got home the Moon was behind thick cloud.

When I packed up I set my books on the ground next to my telescope in the lunch box. When it was time to head home I picked up the tripod case and commented that the straps felt moist. I picked up the books and the cover of the paperback Moon Observer’s Guide had absorbed enough moisture that it was curled away from the pages of the book.

The are was very stable tonight. There was no wavering of the image in either scope and peter spent a good bit of time with a 2x Barlow.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
  • ~20mm Kellner w/helical focuser

Takahashi 102 refractor - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

TargetMoon
ConstellationCnc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070327.2100 EDT
Comments
Lunation1042
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age8.95
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
387,835 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated73%
Magnitude-12.38
Angular Size30.81'
Altitude71°49’
I spent most of my time looking in Mare Imbrium.
  • The Alpine Valley was difficult to see. Peter had trouble understanding that until he looked through my scope. It was just a faint line that I really had to spend a lot of time to find. In his scope it was much more distinct.
  • Likewise the Straight Wall, Rupes Recta. Peter talked me to it and when I got there it just looked like a change in the color of the mare. When I saw it in his scope under high poser it looked as though someone had drizzled epoxy over the surface of the mare, I could see relief in it.

    Detail from LAC plate 95
  • I could see Lambert and Timocharis and a bright white spot half way between them with a shadow stretching to the west that is an unnamed mountain.

    Detail from LAC plate 40
  • It looked like Laplace Promontory was just starting to catch light.
  • Montes Recti, Montes Teneriffe, Pico and Piton were all easily visible and could be connected into an drowned inner ring in Mare Imbrium.
  • There was some nice delicate shadow inside the west wall of Plato
  • Over in Mare Serenitatis I could see a white splotch of light where Posidonous is but couldn’t assign any shape to it or pick out the crater.
  • I could see Erastosthenes and the mountain SW of it but didn’t notice Stadius.
  • Down in the south I could see Rutherford, Clavius B and probably Clavius D on the floor of Clavius.
  • Down to the SW of Clavius and tangent to its outer wall I saw what looked like a round plateau. It must have been the area in this image where the craters are much smaller and less densely packed than most other places in the south.

    Detail from LAC plate 126
  • Peter noted that the libration is decreasing. We looked at Mare Australe in the SW corner and Mare Marginus, Mare Undarum and Mare Spumans around much larger Mare Crisium.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070327.2200 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
hm
Distance
(from Sun)
Au
Angular Size"x"
Ring
Angular
Size
"x"
Ring
Inclination
°
Magnitude0.19
Altitude65°32’
I could see the C ring in front of the planet, the Cassini Division out to the sides of the rings, a band on the planet and a slight dimming of brightness near the south pole. The planet’s shadow on the rings looks wider than I remember it. There were two moons off the planet’s rings, Tethys and Rhea, and I might have seen one other.

Stary Night Starter graphic

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.