07 February 2007

3 February 2007

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period0830-0845 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered
Temperature23°F
Wind14 MPH
Gisting to
24 MPH
HumidityModetate
Feels Like11°F Wind Chill

The Sun was just appearing ovre the tops of the buildings and not providing a lot of heat yet. Tbe oval is amongst the buildings so sheltered from most of the wind today.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationCap
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070203.0830 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.986 AU
8m12s
Angular Size32'27"
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-6.18°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
17.32°
Position Angle
(P)
-13.03°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2052/td>

The two main spots are fairly equal in size and span the central meridian.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South2 3 23
Total2 3 23
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 940
Heliographic Latitude -4°
Heliographic Longitude 44°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2052
Mcintosh SystemCso
A southern hemisphere group about half way from the meridian to the leading limb. Composed of a small p. Spot - which is probably a group of even smaller spots - and a large f spot surrounded by a small, regular penumbra.
Group 941
Heliographic Latitude -4°
Heliographic Longitude 11°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2052
Mcintosh SystemAsx
A large solitary southern hemisphere spot with a small, regular penumbra. The group is approaching the central meridian.
Observing LocationNYHoS, NY Hall of Science, Corona, Queens, NY
Observational Period1810 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature
Wind
Humidity
Feels Like

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye Observing - Charlie
I had the Canons over my shoulder and never even thought of them.
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
On leaving the Hall of Science the first thing I noticed was Venus hanging there in the very dark twilight. It was extremely bright and appeared big. There are lots of planes in the area either headind into or departing LaGuardia but Venus was brighter than any of them.

Moving a few feet to the north I could are Mercury about half as high above the buildings and trees across the street. I had to watch a while to be sure it was Mercury and not a plane.

Walking up the block toward my train I could are Saturn rising in the west a little above Arthur Asche tennis stadium.



Observing LocationWhite Plains Road @ McGraw Ave, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1840 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature
Wind
Humidity
Feels Like

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye Observing -Charlie
I still had the Canons slung over my shoulder but never thought to use them.
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
When I got off the bus and turned onto my street there was a beautiful butter Moon hanging there. It appeared full although it is nearly two days old now.



3Feb

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2100-2330 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud Cover
Temperature24°F
Wind
HumidityModerate
Feels Likevery cold

Peter reported seeing not that good tonight. Ir got cloudy for a spell then cleared as CSC had predicted. It was windy all night and very windy a couple of timed.

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Teleport 10" Donsonisn reflector - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
This is the first time I can remember being in Central Park or seeing Peter since New Years Eve. I have been busy studying for my ham radio exam and haven't gotten much night observing in. Shortly after I arrived it started getting cloudy and the wind nearly knocked Peter's scope over a couple of times so he packed it up and I never got my binocular out. Mostly we stood around and caught up with each other. We did some looking into Ursa Minor which is one of our gushes in how dark the shy is. We both saw all of the major stars although we didn't agree on the spatial relationship of the dimmest bowl star to the others. I asked if Peter saw Pherkad Minor saying that I thought it was at 7:00 to 8:00 then reconsidering decided it could be over at 5:00. Peter initially did not are it but after prolonged observation decided it was up at 1:00 which is where he confirmed it with his binocular. I could are it in the binocular but only located it with difficulty naked-eye. The Moon spent much if the time rising through the big tree to the NE. It started off pretty mych directly in line beneath Saturn and Regulus but slowly moved off to the N. Sy the end of the night I thought it looked a little yellow but it was still white for Peter. Orion was moving through kMangstysn South and the belt dyses were still visible through the clouds. I saw the two neck stars of Lepus and one of the head stars. I don't know Monoceros well but Peter helped me find two dim stars.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.