| Observing Location | VP |
| Observational Period | 0930-0945 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear light haze |
| Temperature | 24°F |
| Wind | 9 MPH |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Feels Like | 14° Wind Chill |
|
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Cap |
| Category | Solar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20070130.0930 EST |
| Comments |
Distance Light Time | 0.985AU 8m12s |
| Angular Size | 32'28" |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | -5.89° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 69.44° |
Position Angle (P) | -11.42° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2052/td> |
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| South | 2 | 4 | 24 |
| Total | 2 | 4 | 24 |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
There is another new group today and group 940 is more complex than when I tried to observe it through breaks in the clouds on Sunday.
- Group 940
-
| Heliographic Latitude | -3° |
| Heliographic Longitude | 59° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2052 |
| Mcintosh System | Bxo |
|---|
The group has rotated farther onto the disk and is now approaching the central meridian. There is a large p spot and a smaller f spot as well as a smudge above then. I know that the smudge is a bunch of smaller spots but I can't differentiate them so am counting the smudge as one spot.
- Group 941
-
| Heliographic Latitude | -7° |
| Heliographic Longitude | 18° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2052 |
| Mcintosh System | Axx |
|---|
This group is far enough onto the disk that there is no apparent foreshortening. It appears to be a solitary spot.
|
|---|
|
This isn't really astronomy-related, but a lot of my weather interest lands here since there is some crossover, so this has landed here too. It started out as a project to see how the location of the Gulf Stream varies over time. I hear them give the location of the north wall of the Gulf Stream every day in the offshore marine weather forecast. Once I had the location for the first day I thought I should plot it in relation to the forecast area which they also announce. That is when it became a because-I-can project. The next step was to find out where the forecast area was so I decided to add in a coastline. That was a little trickier than I had anticipated. I had wanted to do it as an area chart but Excel didn't like that idea so I had to settle for an outline of the coast. It all worked but the location of the gulf stream is too small in relation to the rest of the map to tell much about it. It might work better if there was more variability in its position like if it moves farther north or south at different times of the year.
<< Home