23 January 2007

23 January 2007

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1015-1030 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperaturelow 30s F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCold

It is a beautiful day right now but it supposed to cloud up and start snowing this evening.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingII
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I am back home from Philadelphia. I didn't get any observing done there. There was nowhere where I could see the western horizon to try for the first crescent Moon or the δ Cap occultation and the day when I tried to go out to do a sunspot count a visitor to the booth told me it was snowing. Now I am working to learn enough Morse code before the end of the month to pass a 5 word per minute test and upgrade my amateur radio license so may not get much observing in until next month.

The Sun moved over into Capricornus while I was away and, since I wasn't doing any observing, I didn't realize it.

Target Sunspots
ConstellationCap
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20070123.1015 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.984 AU
8m11s
Angular Size32'30"
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-5.42°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
161.19°
Position Angle
(P)
-8.42°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2052

There is one spot visible on the leading limb of the Sun with some plage on its limbward side.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South1 2 12
Total1 2 12
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 939
Heliographic Latitude -3°
Heliographic Longitude 211°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2052
Mcintosh SystemBxo
I can still see two spots although the group is getting close to the foreshortening zone. The p spot is the latger. I didn’t see any penumbra.



I have been getting ready for the next full Moon and wondered of there was any correlation between the phase of the Moon and its altitude when it transits.

I went to Planetarium and looked up the transit time on each day of the next three lunations and plotted the altitude against the date.

I don't see any relationship. It appears that they length of the altitude cycle is shorter (26 days) than that of a lunation (29.5 days).



Observing LocationMcGraw Ave near Metropolitan Ave, Bronx, NY
Observational Period2130-2145 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud Cover?
Temperature34°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCold

The sky looked dark but there were no stars visible anywhere but to the SE. I am assuming there must have been a deck of stratus up there but I couldn’t see it.

TransparencyPoor
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye observing - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
It was kind of strange out tonight. The forecasts said it would be somewhat cloudy with poor visibility. On arriving home after the monthly PHP meeting (a programming language for writing dynamic Web pages where the HTML displayed to the user is written on the fly when the user calls them, which I don't do although I attend the meetings each month) I started looking for stars as soon as I left the subway station. I couldn’t see anything anywhere until I got to the block one block south and parallel to my block were I saw one “star” that I assumed from its brightness and size was probably Saturn. When I got into my block I stopped to look out to the SE where that “star” was and saw another dimmer star beneath it and knew I was seeing Saturn and Regulus. Moving around a bit to get different parts of the sky in the hole between the buildings I saw Procyon, Sirius, and Orion’s shoulders and belt. But there was nothing visible in any other part of the sky.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.