| Observing Location | Parkchester Subway |
| Observational Period | 0615-0715 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 19°F |
| Wind | 6MPH |
| Humidity | Low |
| Feels Like | Frigid 11°F Wind Chill |
It probably isn't really that bad out there, but after our mild winter it sure feels bad.
|
| Instruments | Golden Gate 7x35 bunocular - Charlie
I had the Canonss packed away for my trip and grabbed these binoculars because I figured 35mm of aperture as compared to 21mm would be of more value searching for a dim moon than them 1x more magnification that I would have gotten with the Bruntons.
|
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Saturn |
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Planet |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20070117.0615 EST |
| Comments |
Object Class | Classical Planet |
|---|
| Elongation | 153.44° |
Distance Light Time (from Earth) | 8.29 AU 1h09m |
Distance (from Sun) | 9.18Au |
| Angular Size | 19.9"x17.7" |
Ring Angular Size | 45.3"x10.2" |
Ring Inclination | 13.08° |
| Magnitude | 0.1 |
| Altitude | 28.46° |
Saturn looked bright but I wasn't able to hold still enough to tell if it had any shape. |
|
| Target | Jupiter |
| Constellation | Oph |
| Category | Planet |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20070117.0615 EST |
| Comments |
Object Class | Classical Planet |
|---|
| Elongation | 45.51° |
Distance Light Time (from Earth) | 6.01 AU 49m57s |
Distance (from Sun) | 5.36 Au |
| Angular Size | 32.8"x30.7" |
| Magnitude | -1.8 |
Central Meridian I/II | 133°/278° |
| Altitude | 18.10° |
| Moons | E &nbso;(J) G I C |
Jupiter was right next to Antares.
I may have seen Europa but am not positive. |
|
| Target | Mars |
| Constellation | Sgr |
| Category | Planet |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20070117.0615 EST |
| Comments |
Object Class | Classical Planet |
|---|
| Phase | Waning Gibbous |
|---|
| Elongation | 26.55° |
| % Illuminated | 97.8% |
Distance Light Time (from Earth) | 2.31 AU 19m11s |
Distance (from Sun) | 1.49Au |
| Angular Size | 4.06" |
| Magnitude | 1.4 |
| Central Meridian | 78° |
| Altitude | 5.14° |
Mars looked pink or orange and very round. |
|
| Target | Iridium 46 Flare |
| Constellation | Oph |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20070117.0621 EST |
| Comments | I just happened to be looking at Jupiter when this Mag -6 Iridium flare lit up nearly directly below it. It flared and died quickly. Heavens above days I was only 1.4 km from the path center and that it was just as bright here as it would have been there. |
|---|
|
| Target | Last Crescent Moon |
| Constellation | Sgr |
| Category | Lunar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20070117.0716 EST |
| Comments |
| Lunation | 1039 |
|---|
| Phase | Last Crescent |
|---|
Age (last seen) | 27d22h14 New -1d15H44m |
Distance Light Time (from earth) | 380,000 km 1.27s |
| Elongation | 21.70° |
| % Illuminated | 3.5% |
| Magnitude | -6.2 |
| Angular Size | 31'31" |
| Altitude | 5.98° |
I had given up on the Moon but was going to wait until sunrise anyway when I found it above the top of the tallest apartment building. I first caught it at 0655 EST at 3.28° altitude and saw it naked eye as soon as I out my glasses on without really looking for it. I am certain that it would have been seen much lower on the horizon were it not for the buildings obstructing the view. I continued to observe it naked-eye until 0716 when it was at 5.89° altitude. I wasn't able to locate it with the binocular after that either. The limb was illuminated in a thick arc from 10:00 through 6:00. |
|
I am on a road trip to Philadelphia through Sunday to sell impressionist sailboat paintings at a boat show. I have the Canons with me as well as the solar filter and plan to do solar observing on breaks and try for the first crescent Moon on Friday night and the occultation of δ Cap on Saturday night.
| Observing Location | Philadelphia Convention Center |
| Observational Period | 1315-1330 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 30s F |
| Wind | Moderate Breeze |
| Humidity | Low |
| Feels Like | Cold |
I am observing from inside the convention center through double pane tinted glass windows so all the weather and transparency stuff doesn't mean much. The temperature in here is nice but there is reflection between the panes of glass.
| Transparency | Excellent |
| Seeing | II |
|---|
|
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
|
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Sgr |
| Category | Solar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 2007017.1315 EST |
| Comments |
Distance Light Time | 0.984AU 8m11s |
| Angular Size | 32'31" |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | -4.78° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 238.54° |
Position Angle (P) | -5.76° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2052 |
The sunspot group looks like a nebula. I think it would resolve into some individual spots if I were outside. I think the group is in the northern hemisphere but the way the Sun is tipped may out it in the south. I will have to check rayben systems when I get a chance to confirm where it is.
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 1 | | |
| South | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Total | 1 | | |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
- Group 938
-
| Heliographic Latitude | +4° |
| Heliographic Longitude | 223° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2052 |
| Mcintosh System | |
|---|
I can’t tell more about this group but that there is a faint smudge on the Sun.
|
|---|
|
<< Home