12 January 2007

12 January 1007

I know this has been done before. Now it has been done again.

I wanted to see for myself the difference in the size of the Moon at apogee and perigee.

 
 ApogeePerigee
Date
Time
10Jan07
1627 UT
28Dec06
0149 UT
Distance404,334 km370,320 km
 Last Quarter MoonFirst Quarter Moon
Date
Time
11Jan07
1245 UT
27Dec06
1448 UT
Angular Size29'30"32'34"
Size Difference10.40%
%D = ((P - A) / A ) * 100
Photo
Date
Time
10Jan07
1030 UT
27Dec06
2224 UT
Predicted Angular Size29'56"32'46"
Size Difference9.47%
%D = ((P - A) / A ) * 100
Observed Moon Diameter186 pixels204 pixels
Size Difference9.68%
%D = ((P - A) / A ) * 100

Both images were made with a Minolta X700 SLR camera with a 500mm f/8 catadioptric lens. Exposure for the first quarter Moon was based on the Sunny 16 rule - f/8 @ 1/125s - since the Moon is in bright sunlight, and was not adjusted in Photoshop. I made a series of hand-held exposures of the last quarter Moon at varying shutter speeds and used the image that was sharpest and adjusted it in Photoshop to match the first quarter image.) I chose this equipment because it is the only camera I have that has a fixed focal length telephoto lens. I wanted the fixed focal length lens so there would be no question of how far a zoom lens was zoomed for each picture no matter when those pictures were made.

The negatives were developed and scanned directly to photo CD.

The first quarter picture had to be straightened to get the terminator vertical before it could be used. The images were opened as layers in Photoshop and aligned on a horizontal line then the images were cropped to get a rectangular black sky. This insured that the size of the Moon did not change by dealing with each image separately. The area containing the dark side of the last quarter Moon was deleted. The layers were positioned next to each other. The image was cropped a final time to get the most information onto this page.

The image was opened in MS Paint so I could get screen coordinates to measure the diameter of the Moon in pixels. The last quarter picture, being hand held at 500mm and a slow (for that lens) shutter speed, is soft so the diameter of that Moon is not as accurate as that of the first Quarter Moon. There will not be another last quarter apogeean Moon this year to reshoot that picture.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.