08 December 2006

8 December 2006

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1045-1100 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken Clouds
Temperature25° F
Wind36 mph
gusting to
40 mph
HumidityLow
Feels Like6° F Wind Chill

It was so cold I almost got married.

Shelley Winters

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time20061208.1045 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-0.7°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
46.24°
Position Angle
(P)
+13.06°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2050

The Heliographic Latitude (B0) has been decreasing steadily and today it has changed to a negative value. The way I understand it that is the location of the center of the Sun’s disk and means that the north pole of the Sun is now pointed toward Earth and the south pole away from Earth.

Group 929 has the sub to itself today. I don't detect any areas of plage anywhere on the disk.

I have received many reports over the past 24 hours of the heomahneyic events that are taking place in our atmosphere as a result of the X-9 flare from Group 929 earlier in the week, and perhaps additional events about which I am unaware. I saw yesterday that ApaceWeather.com was still showing a 5Dec06 SOHO image as the current image and there was a note in another section saying an instrument had been overwhelmed by recent events.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South1 2 12
Total1 2 12
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 929
Heliographic Latitude -9°
Heliographic Longitude
Mcintosh SystemDso
A southern hemisphere group.
The group looks smaller today than it has in the past. Do they stabilize after giving off a large flare? I see one large umbral spot surrounded by a symmetrical penumbra auth a much smaller spot beneath it, also surrounded be a proportionately smaller penumbra.



Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period2200-0030 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature28°F
Wind13 mph
HumidityLow
Feels Like17°F Wind Chill

I had plenty of clothes on and was comfortable except for my feet, which only lasted for two hours.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celesteon Omni 20mm
  • Celesteon Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I had a good deal of trouble focusing tonight at 43x and eventually gave up on it and did most of my following along with Cherington at 21x. I got interrupted by a friendly security officer and then by a passer by and had trouble getting back on track. By then my toes were cold and fortunately, I was near the end of Cherrington's description for the day.

TargetMoon
ConstellationCnc
CategoryLunar
Time20061208.2200 EST
Comments
Lunation1038
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Age18D4g41m
Elongation128.74°
% Illuminated81.3%
Magnitude-11.4
Altitude18.36°
21x
  • Franklin looks very deep
  • I identified the Altai Scarp, Thoophilus, Cyrillus, Catherina, and Picolomini
  • Stringutl has nice has nice shadow marking the western wall, 2.prominent craters straddle the wall in the E just off the terminator
  • Rays still prominent off of Tycho and Copernicus
  • Aristarchus appears to have a strong white ray to the west
  • Teneriffe Mountains and Straight Range under Plato
43x
  • The other night I identified Montes Archimedes from Ruukl where Cherrinhton snows Palis Buyrendis
  • With the aperture partially occulted I can see Ariatillia and the W rim of Apitzennerg
Using cherrington as a guide I made the following observations:
  • Eudoxus and Aristotle are supposed to be prominent but they are faint and I had missed them
  • Mare Crisium is gonee but I can still see Peoclua and Maceobia
  • Cepheus is nearly 1/2 the distance from Franklin to Atlas
  • Taruntius in the terminator

TargetM44
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20061208 EST
Commentshard to see with the Moon so near.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time20061209 EST
CommentsA woman who had to leave Popeyes stopped by when they closed and wanted to see a planet so I got Saturn in the eyepiece.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.