03 December 2006

3 December 2006

Anticipating Weather Changes Based on the Barometer

BarometerWind
Direction
Weather Indicated
ReadingTrend
>30.20Falling RapidlyS to EWarmer; rain within 24 hrs
W to NCool and clear, quickly followed by warmer and rain
SteadyvariableNo change imminent
30.00 - 30.20Rising RapidlyWFair, followed within two days by warmer and rain
SteadyWFair with slight changes in temperature next 1-2 days
Falling RapidlyS to EWarmer and rain within 24 hrs
< 30.00RisingS to WClearing and colder within 12hrs
Falling SlowlyS to ERain within 18 hours; continues 1-2 days
Falling RapidlySE to NERain & high wind; followed within 2 days by clearing and colder
<29.80Rising RapidlyShifting WClearing and colder
Falling RapidlyS to WSevere wind and rain storm imminent; in winter snow and cold wave within 24hrs
S to ENor'easter; severe northeast gales with heavy rain or snow; in winter followed by cold wave



Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1115-1145 EST
It takes me twice as long to make my observations with SAR as it does with Binoculars. Part of the additional time is longer set up and tear down; part of it is the time it takes to locate the sun; and part of it is time spent trying to maintain focus.
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature40°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikePleasant

There is a little bit of haze and a few widely scattered small clouds. There was no boiling.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
  • Baader AstroSolar filter film
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time20061203.1115 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
+0.57°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
111.57°
Position Angle
(P)
+15.11°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2050

I could not see any sign of Group 928 again today. Group 926 seems to be becoming better defined.

 Groups SpotsR
North1 1 11
South1 6 16
Total2 7 27
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 926
Heliographic Latitude -11°
Heliographic Longitude 142°
Mcintosh SystemEso
A southern hemisphere group. This group is still complex but less so than yesterday. It still has three subgroups.
  • The farthest west, the P spot, is the largest and is surrounded by an easily seen penumbra. There are two assiciated smaller spots outside the penumbra to the south. I don't see any facula areound this spot today.
  • The middle subgroup appears to be a single unbra surrounded by umbra. It doesn't appear to be surrounded by facula either.
  • The last sub group in the line appears to be dissipating. There are two small umbral spots without penumbra. I can see a broad area of facula around the spots.
Group 927
Heliographic Latitude +4°
Heliographic Longitude 129°
Mcintosh SystemCsx
A northern Hemisphere group. This group appears to be a single umbral spot surrounded by penumbra and facula. I thought I got a glimpse of a small spot close by to the south but was not able to recover it.



Today was Celestron Day at Adorama so I had arranged to meet Kin there at 1400 EST. When I arrived Rich Rosenberg and John Pazmino were there talking with Mile Peoples of Adorama. I got the Celestron rep, Ed, and cot a tour of Sky Scout.

We were inside so it was not able to see any satellites to get a position fix but it would identify something it thought we were pointing it at or tell us how to get to something we told it we wanted to see. I guess it was using the last position fix it had gotten but I didn't ask about that. You can't lock in a position fix for a location you frequently use and shut down the GPS to save battery power. I guess it gets its time signals solely from the GPS also.

It uses AA batteries that are supposed to last about four days and the rep recommended using rechargeable batteries. The unit automatically powers off after a period of time, Ed thought it was five minutes, and there is no adjustment for that setting. I don't know if that is 5 minutes after the last button press or after the last sensor movement, or after something else.

There is no way to tell it to find the sun but we couldn't find out if it would tell you to point it at an object transiting the sun. You are not magnifying the image so it isn't like you are going to instantly go blind if you happen to pass it over the Sun.

You hold the unit at arms length and align lighted reticules on the front and back ends which I found to be easier than I had anticipated. I had no trouble seeing through the optical path indoors in the brightly lighted showroom but I don't know if I would be able to see Pherkad through it. There as a 1/4x20 tripod socket on the bottom but Ed doesn't know what its purpose is since he says the unit contains both magnetic and gravitation sensors so should not be used near metal. If it does detect an increased magnetic influence it alerts you so you know it may be confused.

Onboard there is a large star catalog and there is all kinds of scientific data for about 2,000 objects, assumedly the brightest and most popular. Some of that information is displayed on the LCD display (faint red backlight) and some of it is in text files. I don't know if the same information is in both places or if the audio is just highlights from the text. There is a USB port to download updates to the firmware and star catalog, and a SD port for unspecified future expansions.

When you tell it you want to know about a constellation it can show you a stick figure map and then guide you to the brightest stars. The map doesn’t identify adjacent constellations to give you context. I don't know if you get audio prompts in the Find mode or just arrows in the viewfinder.

It is an interesting device. I still don't know how well it works since I didn't get to point it at anything real to verify its accuracy. The use I see for it that would be of the most benefit to me is finding planets and thin crescent moons during the daytime.



When we left Adorama at 1600 EST there were stripes of cirrus or light altostratus in the sky but it still looked like there would be a chance of seeing the Pleiades Occultation..

Now at 1700 EST from home there appears to be more clouds up there. The moon is awake and shining through them but there is no sign naked-eye of any nearby stars.

I am still planning to go down to the park in hopes that conditions are really better in Manhattan than they are up here.



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1845-2300 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverOvercast
Temperature30s F
Wind Gentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCold

It was overcast all night with the exception of about 10 minutes around 2145 EST when it got crystal clear.

TransparencyPoor
SeeingV
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
Pentax 20x60 –Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

TargetOccultation of M45 by the Moon
ConstellationTau
CategoryOccultation
Time20061203.2010 EST
Comments
Lunation1038
Phasewaxing gibbous
AgeStart: 13d2h51m
End: 13d4h37m
ElongationStart: 166.31°E
End: 167.22°E
% IlluminatedStart: 98.6%
End: 98.8%
MagnitudeStart: -12.5
End: -12.6
AltitudeStart: 52.90°
End: 69.86deg;

Not Seen

Predicted event times from Occult 3.0.

Time
EST
EventobjectPAComment
1507   Moon Rises
2010DElectra72triple star
2022DCelano36double star
2051DMaia43double star
2100DTaygeta357multiple star system
2121RElectra238triple star
2122DPleiade C122 
2127RTaygeta313multiple star system
2129dAsterope349 
2146rAsterope322 
2200 Alcyone157near graze
2200RMaia268double star
2204RPleiade C190
2225rCelaeno274double Star
2253   Moon Transits

Time
EST
Events
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009
2010Electra Occulted
2011
2012
2013
2014
2015
2016
2017
2018
2019
2020
2021
2022Celano Occulted
2023
2024
2025
2026
2027
2028
2029
2030
2031
2032
2033
2034
2035
2036
2037
2038
2039
2040
20s1
2042
2043
2044
2045
2046
2047
2048
2049
2050
2051Maia Occulted
2052
2053
20d4
2055
2056
2057
2058
2059
2100Taygeta Occulted
2101
2102
2103
2104
2105
2106
2107
2108
2109
2110
2111
2112
2113
2114
2115
2116
2117
2118
2119
2120
2121
2122Pleiade C Occulted
2123
2124
2125
2126
2127
2128
2129Asterope Occulted
2130
2131
2132
2133
2134
2135
2136
2137
2138
2139
2140
2141
2142
2143
2144
2145
2146
2147
2148
2149
2150
2151
2152
2153
2154
2155
2156
2157
2158
2159
2200Alcyone near graze
2201
2202
2203
2204
2205

We saw three or four Pliade but never saw any of them anywhere near the limb of the Moon. The lunar halo was even more pronounced tonight than last night. Carol, Vinny and another dog walker had noticed it and stopped by to enquire about it.

The Moon exhibited low contrast except for the very bright features, Proclus, Aristarchus, a bright crater in the south and the rays out of Tycho.

The only notable dark feature was Grimaldi which was the darkest feature visible.

Other Names for The Pleiades
PlaceNameMeaning
Africahen and chicks
ArabiaAth-thuravvathe crowd
Australian AboriginesMajars
AztecTranquiztlithe marketplace
Britain the Seven Sisters  
DenmarkAften Hoehnethe eve hen
England, medieval the hen with chicks  
Greece the hencoop
IndiaKritika 
JapanSubaruthe tortoise
Maori, New ZealandMataarikismall eyes
SpainLas Cabrillasthe nanny goats
RussiaNasedhathe sitting hen

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.