27 December 2006

27 December 2006

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1145-1200 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken Clouds
Temperature40°F
WindModerate Breeze
gusting to
Strong Breese
HumidityLow
Feels Like30°F Wind Chill

All of a sudden it has noticed it is winter and temperatures have dropped to seasonal levels. It wouldn't feel bad out were it not for the wind. Most of the sky is clear but there is a huge dark cloud beneath the Sun and another huge white one to the NE. NOAA is reporting snow showers over nountain areas of NJ and over parts of LI. Between the clouds the sky is a nice blue and the air stable.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binocular w/gold shade #14 welder's glass - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time20061227.1145 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-2.46°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
155.93°
Position Angle
(P)
+4.34°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

No spots were seen.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



NOAA is saying that mostly cloudy skies will become mostly clear tonight and CSC says mostly clear by 1800 EST, but as of 1600 EST it is overcast with showers. I had been planning to go to TotL tonight but the weather is too uncertain to commit to that.



Observing LocationMcGraw Ave near Metropolitan Ave, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1800-1830 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered
Temperature30s F
WindModerate Breeze
gusting to
Strong Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeVery Cold

When I came home from dinner there were some low clouds about and I could not find the Moon. It was windy with strong gusts of wind and I decided I was right in deciding against going down to TotL to observe. I took the tripod and cameras downstairs anyway in case the Moon had become visible.

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsMinolta X700 SLR camera with 500mm catadioptric lens - Charlie

Nikon CoolPix 990 digital camera - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationPsc
CategoryLunar
Time2006 EST
Comments
Lunation1039
PhaseFirst Quarter
Perigee (0900 EST)
Age7d8h58m
Elongation94.46°
% Illuminated53%9
Magnitude-10.4
Altitude54.48°
I was surprised at the rotation of the Moon. I had expected that the terminator would be vertical when it southed but it was inclined a bit to the west. I thought maybe it was because of Daylight Saving Time, but we are on standard time. Playing with Planetarium I found that the terminator was nearly vertical at around 1648 EST.

I made some pictures with both cameras with the camera mounted on my tripod. Using the digital camera in manual mode and applying the Sunny 16 rule, since the sun is in bright sunlight, my pictures were all overexposed. I got what appears to be reasonable exposure, as evaluated in the camera LCD, with the camera set in PHD (push here dummy) mode.




Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period1845-1930 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature40°F
WindCalm
gusting to
Light Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels Like33°F Wind Chill

It is amazing how quickly all those clouds can disappear and the wind die down. I was toasty in my down jacket under my parka.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular (hand held)- Charlie
Minolta X700 SLR camera w/500mm catadioptric lens - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I realized when I got upstairs that I hadn't bracketed my exposures on the film camera so decided to take it and my binocular up to the oval for a short observing and photography session.

The half moon shows a face of plaintive sweetness
Ready and poised to wax or wane;
A fire of pale desire in incompleteness
Tending to pleasure or to pain:-
Lo, While we gaze she rolleth on the fleetness
To perfect loss or perfect gain.
Half bitterness we know, we know half sweetness;
This world is on wax, on wane.
When shall completeness round time's incompleteness
Fulfilling joy, fulfilling pain?
Lo, while we ask, life rolleth on in fleetness
To finished loss or finished gain.

The half moon shows a face of plaintive sweetness
Christina Rosetti

TargetMoon
ConstellationPsc
CategoryLunar
Time20061227.1845 EST
Comments
Lunation1039
PhaseFirst Quarter
Perigee (0900 EST)
Age7d9h43m
Elongation94.86°E
% Illuminated54.2%
Magnitude-10.5
Altitude53.73°
The most striking features in the binocular are the mountains on the western edge of Mare Imbrium and the three large craters NW of Mare Nubium.

The eastern limb near Hevelius is just visible by earthshine in the binocular.

The terminator is slicing through Mare Imbrium on the western rim of Archimedes and just east of Poolemaeus, Alphonsus and Arzachel.

The Alps and the Apennine Mountains both have deep shadow on their inner flanks which makes them look very tall, while the Caucasus Mountains between them are hardly visible.

There are two splotches of white to the SW of Mare Nectaris with some ray structure emanating from the area. The ray emanating from Menelaus and proceeding through Mare Serenitatis and Lacus Sommiorum into tbe northern highlands is also visible.

There is a streak of dark color extending south near the SW edge of Mare Crisium. Mare Undarum and Mare Spumans? Firmicus and Apollonius?

Archimedes and just east of Poolemaeus, Alphonsus and Arzachelare well defined Something to the south of them is creating a bay of light in the terminator.

Sinus Asperitatis is more prominent and distinct from Mare Nectaris and Mare Tranquillitatis than I remember seeing it before.

I can make out Aristotoles and Eudoxus: hercules and Atlas are indistinct: I don't remember noticing Cepheus and Franklin.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.