26 December 2006

24 December 2006

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1115-1145 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature50°F
WindCalm
gusting to
Gentle Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

It was very pleasant out with a few small, puffy, cottonball cumulus clouds below the altitude of the Sun so not impacting on observations.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celesteon Omni 20mm
  • w/Baader AstroSolar filter film
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 29 Flare
ConstellationHer
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061224.1121 EST
CommentsNot Seen
This flare was supposed to be Mag -7.6 at Alt.: 70, Az.: 166. Even with the uncertainty of whether that azimuth was given in degrees True or degrees Magnetic at that elevation it should have been in my field of view and I think would have been bright enough to have been seen against the clear blue sky.

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061224.1130 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-2.10°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
195.45°
Position Angle
(P)
+5.78°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

The Sun looks featureless today.

I found a major hole in my solar filter today and when I examined it I found a bunch of small holes running in a line across the filter, a string if holes right around the edge of the cell - where the largest hole was - and a few isolated holes elsewhere. I don't know how all of these holes have gotten there since I check the filter before every use and have previously identified only thee small holes. I am wondering if the string of holes at the edge of the cell were caused by a burr on the hole in the donut that I use to protect the film when it is not in use. It is the only reason I can see for holes to follow the curve if the cell. I will have to run some Emery cloth around the rim.



Observing LocationWhite Plains Road @ Cross Bronx Expressway, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1535-1550 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperaturehigh 50s F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye observing - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
Category
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061224.1541 EST
CommentsNot Seen
This one might not have been bright enough for me to detect it this early in twilight.



Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period2030-2400 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature40s F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeChilly

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
-24Dec finalize

TargetOrion
ConstellationOri
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061224 EST
CommentsI poked around in Orion, mostly looking for double stars.
  • Alnilam is a double but I can't see the secondary with these optics.
  • Mintaka ia an easily split double with a faint secondary
  • I was up in Orion's head around Meissa, &ganna; Ori, looking for the double and open cluster there but fon't remember what I saw
  • I moved up into the club dut didn't find anything of note there.
  • I saw η Ori as a double.
  • I think I saw ρ Ori as a double
  • The Sword looked nice with nebulosity around the Trapexium but none detected at M43.
  • The double arc of stars forming NGC1981 looked very crisp
  • The ι Cas doublw was noted but no nebulosity was seen for NGC1980

TargetCanis Major
ConstellationCMa
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061224 EST
Comments
  • Sirius looked huge, Planetary.
  • M41 was seen.
  • Cr121 was seen
  • I don't remember noting Aludra, η CMa, as a double
  • Cr132 looks like a big H
  • Cr140 is much smaller

TargetAndromeda
ConstellationAnd
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061224 EST
Comments
  • I easily found M31
  • I looked at Almach, γ And, but can't remember if I noted its duplicity.

TargetM33
ConstellationTri
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061224 EST
CommentsNot seen
I found β Tri and α Tri, but didn't see anything of M33 which the Deep Sky Observers Guide tells me is an easy binoculat target with 10x50s.

TargetCancer
ConstellationCnc
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061224 EST
Comments
  • M44 looked very bright tonight.
  • I didn't find M67
  • I looked at ι Cnc but don't remember if I saw it as a double
  • I was looking for double symbols on the Pocket Sky Atlas and missed the nearby wide double ρ Cnc&

TargetVenus
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061224 EST
CommentsSaturn looks like the usual cigar.
I noticed tonight that all thr bright stars had comet tails going down to the lower left. I remembered that my batteries were dead so changed them and it didn't make a difference. All my stars in SAR have comet tails to the left. I know there are there in SAR since Peter can see them but am wondering if what I am seeing in the binocular is really there or if it is a vision defect of my eyes.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.