20 December 2006

20 December 2006

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1130-1145 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
light haze
Temperature50s F
WindCalm
Humidity
Feels LikeCool

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061222.1130 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-1.60°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
248.27°
Position Angle
(P)
+7.68°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

The sub is a uniform featureless disk again today.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)




Observing LocationBattery Park, New York, NY
I am liking this location for satellite work because they alternate between low eastern and low western horizons a lot and from here I can see from the SE through down through A and up to the NW. The major drawback is that it is hard to tell the satellites from the planes approaching and departing Newark Airport.
Observational Period1600- EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature30s F
WindModerate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCold

I went back to my source at NOAA for estimating wind speed but didn't find a listing for when blowing holiday decorations cause lamp posts to sway or when plastic bags caught in tree branches make loud snapping sounds. I think it is windier here than it is a lot of other locations around the City because there is so much fetch for the wind to blow across in all directions but to the north.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Nikon CoolPix 990 - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I achieved both of my objectives tonight: I observed the Space Shuttle and ISS in subsequent passes, and I made my first video of an Iridium flare.

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061220.1615 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-1.62°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
245.67°
Position Angle
(P)
+7.58°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

The Sun was setting through a deck of stratus clouds that were showing nice striations from the effects of winds aloft blowing from the north. Surface winds, however, were variable but predominantly out of the SE. I was not able to get a good look at all of the disk but did not see any spots in the areas I could see.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

TargetVenus
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061220.1630 EST
Comments
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Elongation13.34°E
% Illuminated97.5%
Magnitude-3.9
Altitude7.87°
I picked Venus up right at sunset by scanning to the upper left of the Sun with the binocular. Once I had a landmark on the horizon I was able to pick it up naked-eye only a minute or two later. In the compact binocular it is still just a little dot, hardly bigger than the little dot I see naked-eye. I was able to photograph it.

1631 - Civil Twilight Begins

TargetSTS-116 Visible Pass
ConstellationSgr-Cap-Aqr-Psc-Ari-Tau
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061220.1641 EST
CommentsNot Seen
Mag .-1.0

TargetIridium 84 Flare
ConstellationSgr
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061220.1644 EST
CommentsNot Seen
Mag -5

TargetISS Visible Pass
ConstellationSgr-Cap-Aqr-Psc-Ari-Tau
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061220.1646 EST
CommentsNot Seen
Mag -

TargetIridium 54 Flare
ConstellationHer
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061220.1659 EST
CommentsNot Seen
Mag -1

1702 EST - Nautical Twilight Begins

1736 EST - Astronomical Twilight Begins

TargetIridium 42 Flare
ConstellationCet
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061220.1801 EST
CommentsMag -4
It was a bit farther east than I was expecting it so I did not see it until it had reached maximum brightness. I was able to get a picture of it and see it fade out which was the objective.

The movie (Quicktime file - opens in a new browser)

Next I need to set the camera up on a tripod pointing at the chunk of sky where the flare should be so it can be seen brightening and dimming as it travels across the frame.

1809 EST - Astronomical Twilight Begins

TargetSTS-116 Visible Pass
ConstellationAql-Her
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061220.1816 EST
CommentsMag 0.8
I picked the satellite up well up over the North River as it was heading in over Manhattan and beginning to dim.

TargetISS visible Pass
ConstellationAql-Her
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061220.1821 EST
CommentsMag 1.4
I spotted this one late also but earlier than I had Discovery. They appear to be becoming visible farther north than I was anticipating (maybe the ecliptic is farther south than I was assuming) and are not as bright as I think they should be. It is almost like they are coming straight at me out of the west then turning upriver. Checking Heavens Above in my AvantGo subscription, which was updated late this afternoon I see that the times for this pare of STS-116/ISS passes differ from what I got from CalSky yesterday by several minutes. I haven't compared the Max Alt.: times and may find that the discrepancy is that CalSky lists the time the visible pass behind and ends while Heavens Above only lists it after it reaches 10° Alt.

Comparison of CalSky and Heavens Above listings

CalSkyHeavens Above
STS-116 Visible Pass
Mag -1.0
Appears
Time: 16:41:50
Height:
Az: SW
Transits
Time: 16:46:26
Height: 47°
Az: SE
Disappears
Time: 15:40:53
Height: 5.4°
Az: ENE
no listing
ISS Visible Pass
Mag -1.6
Appears
Time: 16:46:14
Height:
Az: SW
Transits
Time: 16:50:57
Height: 54.4°
Az: SE
>Disappears
Time: 16:54:21
Height: 6.4°
Az: ENE
no listing
STS-116 Visible Pass
Mag 0.9
Appears
Time: 18:16:58
Height:
Az: W
Disappears
Time: 18:20:57
Height: 18.9°
Az: NW
Mag 0.6
Appears
Time: 18:21:46
Height
Az: W
Max elev
Time: 18:20:59
Elev: 19°
Az: NNW
Shadow entry
Time: 18:20:59
Elev: 19°
Az: NNW
ISS Visible Pass
Mag: 0.8
appears
Time: 18:21:46
Height:
Az: W

Disappears
Time: 18:25:43
Height: 18.3°
Az: NW
Mag: -1.0
10° elev
Time: 18:21:09
Elev: 10°
Az.: WNW
Max elev:
Time 18:25:51
Elev:19°
Az: NW
Shadow entry
Time: 18:25:51
Elev: 19°
Az: NW



Following up on my musing about the level of oversight NASA needs of all the goings on on the ISS and Space Shuttle (read: micromanagement), I did some calculations on what that would mean for the upcoming Mars missions.

  • Planetarium tells me that Mars is 2.43 AU from Earth right now.
  • Radio waves travel at the speed of light which is 8.3 minutes/AU - the time it takes light to reach earth from the Sun.
  • So it will take 20.169 minutes for NASA's question to reach astronauts on Mars, another 20.169 minutes for the astronaut's reply to reach Earth, and another 20.169 for NASA's final instruction to reach the astronauts. That is a total of 1 hour for a simple exchange that doesn't require any clarification or anyone to think about the answer.
Clearly the crews of Mars missions will have to have considerable autonomy. Or we need to devise a method of communication that is faster than the speed of light, which reminds me of a conversation we had one night with Mark, the publisher, down at TPO.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.