19 December 2006

19 December 2006

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1045-1100 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
TemperatureLow 40s F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Fresh Breeze
HumidityLow
Feels LikeCool

It is supposed to be a mix of sun and clouds today. Right now it is sunny. Hopefully it will be that way again tonight for the STS & ISS visible pass.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade #14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061219.1045 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-1.48°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
261.31°
Position Angle
(P)
+8.14°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

I wasn't anticipating seeing anything so had only brought the compact binoculars. I was not disappointed.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

There was nothing at all visible on the sun today




Here are the visible passes for ISS and STS-116 for the duration of the STS-116 mission as posted on CalSky at noon today.

There will be a visible pass tonight just after they STS-116 undocks from the ISS so it should be possible to see them flying as two points of light.

Tuesday 19 December 2006
14h22mSTS-116Closing of ISS and Space Shuttle hatches
17h09mSTS-116Undocking of Space Shuttle from ISS
17h38mSTS-116First separation burn
18h03m21sSTS-116Appears 17h58m38s 6.0m az:247.6d WSW
Transit 18h03m21s -0.5m az:328.8d NNW h:41.5d dist:497.4km alt:339.7km
Disappears 18h03m48s -0.7m az:356.8d N h:37.7d
18h03m22sISSAppears 17h58m40s 5.5m az:247.6d WSW
Transit 18h03m22s -1.0m az:328.8d NNW h:41.4d dist:497.4km alt:339.2km
Disappears 18h03m49s -1.2m az:356.6d N h:37.7d
18h52mSTS-116Final Separationburn from ISS
Wednesday 20 December 2006
16h46m20sSTS-116Appears 16h41m47s 5.5m az:220.6d SW
Transit 16h46m20s -1.0m az:139.3d SE h:46.0d dist:431.0km alt:316.8km
Disappears 16h49m45s 1.2m az: 60.9d ENE h:5.4d
16h50m57sISSAppears 16h46m14s 5.3m az:223.2d SW
Transit 16h50m57s -1.6m az:140.0d SE h:54.4d dist:407.8km alt:335.5km
Disappears 16h54m21s 0.7m az: 59.5d ENE h:6.4d
18h20m49sSTS-116Appears 18h16m54s 5.3m az:267.6d W
Disappears 18h20m49s 0.9m az:323.4d NW h:18.6d
18h25m43sISSAppears 18h21m46s 4.7m az:269.0d W
Disappears 18h25m43s 0.6m az:322.3d NW h:18.3d
Thursday 21 December 2006
17h03m56sSTS-116Appears 16h59m22s 8.2m az:242.6d WSW
Transit 17h03m56s -1.0m az:326.8d NNW h:51.9d dist:398.9km alt:318.2km
Disappears 17h06m48s 0.9m az: 46.3d NE h:8.8d
17h12m58.63sISSClose to Vega, Alp Lyr (SAO 67174, HIP 91262 HD172167), Magnitude=0.0mag. Separation=1.001° Position Angle=91.0°
Angular Velocity=42.4'/s
Angular diameter=34.2" size=73.0m x 44.5m x 27.5m
Satellite at Azimuth=292.9° WNW Altitude= 36.5° Distance=541.4 km
Magnitude=-0.2mag
Satellite apparently moves to clock-face direction 2:10 o'clock
Centerline, Closest Point: Longitude= 74°03'33" W Latitude=+40°51'22" Distance=13.53 km Azimuth=330.6° NNW Path direction: 60.5° ENE ground speed: 7.653 km/s
17h13m33sISSAppears 17h08m51s 7.2m az:246.9d WSW
Transit 17h13m33s -1.1m az:328.5d NNW h:42.7d dist:483.5km alt:337.0km
Disappears 17h16m09s 0.2m az: 41.8d NE h:11.0d
Friday 22 December 2006
14h53mSTS-116Deorbit Burn to Kennedy Space Center KSC (first option). From this time on until landing, predictions from CalSKY will not be correct.
15h56mSTS-116Landing at Kennedy Space Center KSC, Florida (primary site, first option).
All times in EST or EDT (during summer)



Observing LocationTbe North Cove, World Financial Center, New York, NY
Observational Period1615-1805 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature30s F
WindModerate Breeze
gusting to
Fresh Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCold

The wind is making it feel colder than it really is and it is bordering on uncomfortable. There are clouds on the horizon which I expect the satellites to rise out of.

TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
It was cold and windy out so there weren't many people walking around. I did see a woman with a pair of young children who I told about the event and they stayed to watch it with me.

TargetISS & STS-116 Visible Pasa
ConstellationSco-Aql-Sgr-Vul Lyr-Dra-UMi
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061219.1758 EST
CommentsI have been waiting a long time to see the Space Shuttle and ISS flying across the sky together and the time it happens they were so close together I almost didn't split them. I would have preferred to have seen them one orbit later when there is a bit more separation between them, but am happy to have seen them this time.

The Shuttle separated from the ISS at 1710 EST while I was monitoring the flight transmissions on the amateur radio. It seems to be a non-event. The docking adapter is spring loaded and appears to release itself once armed but that is hard to be certain of. Mission Control gave them the GO for separation at least 15 minutes before it happened and there was little air-to-ground communication after that until Discovery reported that it had been separated and ISS confirmed it. The docking mechanism simply pushes against the shuttle to force it away from the ISS once the docking latches are released. Once the shuttle is at a safe distance from the ISS it uses its thrusters to increase that distance to 400 feet then it begins a fly-around of the ISS to gather images. It was during that fly-around that this visible pass occurred so the two craft were within 700 feet of each other.

We saw a golden light very low on the SW horizon down toward Newark Airport. There were a lot of planes in the area to get ISS confused with but this light didn't have any flashing nav lights attached to it. As the ISS gained altitude it became a bright white light and with the binocular I could see a dimmer light keeping station with it to its 7:30 position.

The pair of craft crossed the river onto the NY side and were in the process of dimming when they disappeared behind 5 World Financial Center.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.