16 December 2006

16 December 2006

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1045-1100 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperaturehigh 40s F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeBrisk

There weren't many clouds, but they all had to pass between me and the Sun. There was constant boiling all the way around the limb.

There must have been some wind last night after I got home because there are small branches on the ground around all of the trees in the neighborhood.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216.1045 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-1.10°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
300.83°
Position Angle
(P)
+9.53°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

The only spot on the Sun is just off of the western limb. There is enough foreshortening going on that I can’t tell a lot about it.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South1 2 12
Total1 2 12
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 930
Heliographic Latitude -11°
Heliographic Longitude 13°
Mcintosh SystemDko
I am getting advisories of spaceweather events resulting from the activity of this spot. It is way over near the western limb. I can still see the upper primary spot and think there is at least one spot beneath if, all surrounded by penumbra.



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2100-2400 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear to Overcast
TemperatureLow 40s F
WindCakm to Gentle Breeze
HumidityModerate to High
Feels LikeCold

At the end of the night I could smell the moisture in the air. Cloud conditions fluctuated between clear and overcast. It always seemed to be best in the SW.

TransparencyFair
SeeingI
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Celestron 7x50 binocular - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee
Hawaiian George

TargetBent Coathanger
ConstellationCam?
CategoryAsterism
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216.2115 EST
CommentsI was searching for Kembles Cascade and kept running into this group of stars that reminded me of a coathanger that had the arms bent down at a 45° angle. I wasn't able to determine for sure where I was but I think I was in Cam somewhere near Kemble's Cascade. It was at the end of a chain of four brighter stars.

TargetPearsapr, Beehive Cluster, M44
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216.2130 EST
CommentsI thought I was probably seeing Cnc naked-eye just above the trees and was able to see a few stars of M44. If I hadn't known it was there I probably would have missed it.

Target< /th>ι Cnc
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216.2135 EST
CommentsThis double was either so wide I did not recognize it, or so close I can only see it as a single star.

TargetOrion Nebula, M42, NGC1976
ConstellationOri
CategoryDSO: ENeb
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216 EST
CommentsI landed here several times during the night as different passers-by passed by and stopped for a look. It is easy to find quickly. You can see something there naked eye and it fills the FoV in the binocular so it is easy for people to understand. Derek Snow stopped on his way to the west Side and said that he saw the nebula naked-eye tonight from in front of his apartment on the Upper East Side. I have been reading some of my old notes and don't remember seeing M42 mentioned as a naked-eye object since the winter of '04/'05. I don't know whether to attribute that to a change in our skies or weather, or to a change in my eyesight.

Targetη Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216 EST
CommentsI had decided that tonight was going to be a double star night since transparency was good enough to permit seeing them but generally not good enough to see stardust in open clusters. This is a wide double across from the top of the sword.

Targetι Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216 EST
CommentsGeorge was asking about double stars in the sword and I mentioned the Trapezium and also pointed out ι Ori as being a close double at the bottom of the sword.

TargetAndromeda Galaxy, M31, NGC224
ConstellationAnd
Category
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216 EST
CommentsKin arrived and wanted to drive so I found my binocular pointed at M31. I didn't think to see if I could see anything where M32 should be.

TargetM103, NGC581
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216 EST
CommentsI hopped up into Cas to see if I could identify the neighborhood where M103 should be and was surprised when I saw the three brightest stars in the object. I thought it would be too small for me to see it in the binocular, especially since it has a high Messier number which generally equates to smaller and fainter objects. I looked the object up in some of my Planetarium programs today and don't think the brightest star, the bill of the cap or the handle of the ladle as I described it yesterday, is actually a part of the cluster.

C2A graphic

Stelarium Graphic

WinStars Graphic

TargetC10, NGC663
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061216 EST
CommentsWhile I was at M103. I decided to take a look around and see if I could find any of the nearby clusters. I did not find NGC659 but was surprised to see C10. The arc of stars 44 Cas, HIP7393, HIP8020, and HIP8106 were easily seen. Just above HIP8020 I picked up TYC4032-02652-1 (8.66m) and TYC4032-02077-1 (8.28m) and a but higher TYC4032-01211-1 (8.29m). While looking there TYC4032-01551-1 (8.92m) popped into view and then a bunch of stardust close around HIP8260 (8.48). C10 was only seen briefly in a moment of better seeing, but there was enough there that I am sure of what I was seeing.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.