15 December 2006

15 December 2006

Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1145-1200 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken Clouds
Temperature50s F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeMild and moist

The sky was clear to the east but down to the south there were clouds. Up until the time I started observing there were distinct shadows then the clouds got thicker. They were moving quickly past the Sun and I got a few glimpses through gaps but mostly observed through thinner patches of cloud before they got thick enough to extinguish the Sun. The air feels moist and if it were a bit warmer I would call it muggy. If it were colder I would be anticipating a wet snow. It is supposed to clear off some but there is the possibility of some showers. I will not be surprised if Columbia calls off public observing tonight.

TransparencyPoor
SeeingI
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.1145 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-0.97°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
313.45°
Position Angle
(P)
+9.97°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
251

Group 930 has moved over to the western limb foreshortening zone and appears stretched.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South1 3 13
Total1 3 13
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 930
Heliographic Latitude -10°
Heliographic Longitude
Mcintosh SystemDho
I can still see two smaller spots beneath the large spot, all surrounded in penumbra and facula.



Observing LocationColumbia University
Observational Period1900-2145 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverOvercast
becoming
Scattered Clouds
Temperature40s F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeIt got a little raw

Early in the afternoon Columbia sent out email saying they were canceling tonight’s public observing session then around 1700 EST sent another message saying it was back on because there was an approaching break in the clouds. We tried observing but the clouds covered up the targets before we could get the scope on them so decided to pack it in after about an hour. We went out onto the roof to do some naked-eye observing because one of Irv Robbins’ students from The College of Staten Island was there and needed to see five more objects this weekend for her class (the college requires observing and has an observatory but doesn’t have provisions for people to observe on campus so they have to travel to one of the AAA or Columbia observing sessions). While we were looking the sky cleared off and Neil and Peter brought out the 12” Dob which we used for about an hour. The temperature started to drop noticeably around 2100 EST and it looked like a cold front was moving in from the N. While I was on the way home on the subway I saw people getting on with wet umbrellas and coats. It didn’t look like it had rained heavily or for long, but the sidewalks were thoroughly wetted by the time I got home.

TransparencyOpaque
becoming
Fair
SeeingV
becoming
II
Instruments16" Meade ScT 12.5" Orion Dob
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Neil - Columbia grad student/td>

TargetThe Pleiades, M45, NGC1432
ConstellationTau
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.1930 EST
CommentsThis is the only object that we got to see in the 16” scope and it was much too large for that scope. The star colors were obvious and all about the same which is to be expected since they are all about the same age. We also observed M45 out on the roof both naked-eye and in the Dob.

TargetM35, NGC 2168
ConstellationGem
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.2115 EST
CommentsI tried to find this in the Dob but have trouble locating it with my binocular and scope so don’t know what it looks like or how big to expect it to be in their scope. I was actually on it and suspected that I was but couldn’t be sure. I wasn’t seeing enough stars naked-eye to be sure where the finder scope was pointed. Neil slewed around a bit and finally got it and it was the same FoV I had first lighted on. The stars were widely spaced and not terribly bright.

TargetMintaka
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.2115 EST
Comments I dropped the scope down to Mintaka just to see something a little different on the way to M42. In that scope the stars are widely spaced. They appear white and blue to me. The woman who was there thought Mintaka appeared yellow.

TargetOrion Nebula, M42, NGC 1976
ConstellationOri
CategoryDSO: ENeb
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.2115 EST
CommentsThe nebulosity was visible when viewed directly but the fish mouth was much more pronounced when viewed with averted.

TargetAndromeda Galaxy, M31, NGC224, & M32, NGC221
ConstellationAnd
CategoryDSO: SpGal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.2115 EST
CommentsNeil suggested going after M31 because it was high in the sky. I couldn’t identify Andromeda until Peter showed my generally where Pegasus was. Then I found the strong chain of stars heading straight up past Cassiopeia. I didn’t want to drive since I wasn’t sure where I was going so Peter tried and got confused going the wrong direction off the Great Square. We eventually got there and M12 looked like a pea with a bright center and a less bright edge. To the north of it was a pair of stars and to the north of them a single star that was slightly fuzzy which was M32. It is not an easy constellation to spot.

TargetM103, NGC581
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.2115 EST
CommentsPeter found this one as well. He calls it a pair of crossed slippers while Neil says it is a small triangle. To me it looked like a baseball cap with a long bill or a ladle. There was one bright star at the top of the field with an orange star beneath it. Beneath the orange star about half the previous distance is another dimmer star and then two more stars off to the right of the orange star and the one beneath it that form the crown of the cap or the bowl of the ladle.

TargetDouble Cluster, NGC869/NGC884
ConstellationPer
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.2115 EST
CommentsThe sparser round cluster is filled with stardust that I don’t remember resolving to this extent before.

TargetOwl/ET Cluster, NGC457
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.2115 EST
CommentsNeil said this is his favorite cluster. It looked very nice tonight and I recognized it immediately. The owl was standing upside down and there were lots of faint stars all around the body, arms and legs.

TargetSpica
ConstellationCMa
CategoryStar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061215.2115 EST
CommentsThis was the last object of the night. The star was low over the roof of an adjacent building that was venting steam. As the steam passed in front of Sirius it would shrink and grow and change colors in response to the varying amount of moisture between us an dit.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.