14 December 2006

14 December 2006

I checked the email this morning and found a post from Bruce Kamiat to the Guild of Manhattan Sidewalk Astronomers and New York Sidewalk Astronomers yahoo groups forwarding a Space.com story saying sunspot Group 930 burped again last night and we may see an aurora tonight as a result. I listened to NOAA to check on the weather and got the observing forecast from Clear Sky Clock then emailed Peter and Kin to say that I would be at TotL tonight to see the aurora.

While that was going on I received this email from the NOAA Space Environment Center warning of an impending geomagnetic event.

Space Weather Message Code: WARSUD
Serial Number: 62
Issue Time: 2006 Dec 14 1401 UTC

WARNING: Geomagnetic Sudden Impulse expected
Valid From: 2006 Dec 14 1410 UTC
Valid To: 2006 Dec 14 1445 UTC
IP Shock Passage Observed: 2006 Dec 14 1356 UTC

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
www.sec.noaa.gov/NOAAscales

It is somewhat amazing to me that they can predict the arrival of one of these things with that degree of specificity.

While I was forwarding that message out to Peter and Kin this message arrived

Space Weather Message Code: SUMSUD
Serial Number: 82
Issue Time: 2006 Dec 14 1425 UTC


SUMMARY: Geomagnetic Sudden Impulse
Observed: 2006 Dec 14 1416 UTC
Deviation: 26 nT
Station: Boulder

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
www.sec.noaa.gov/NOAAscales

Saying that the event had indeed occurred and within the prediction window. And I never felt a thing.

I happened to be listening to NOAA weather radio at the time and did not notice any change in their signal.



Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1030-1045 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
but very hazy
Temperature50s F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeMild

It is clear out but when I look in the direction of the Sun I can see haze that is not noticeable when looking away from the Sun. The weather is nice now and it is supposed to be mild tonight then a minor cold front will come through tomorrow without rain or much of a temperature drop. It looks like we might be able to see something at the public observing session at Columbia University tomorrow night.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20061214.1030 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-0.83°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
327.31°
Position Angle
(P)
+10.44°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2051

The group today appears to have jumped from when I last saw it a couple of days ago. The rotation angle of the Sun makes it look like it is in the northern hemisphere today. There is a little plage between group 930 and the western limb.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South 1 3 13
Total 1 3 13
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 930
Heliographic Latitude -11°
Heliographic Longitude
Mcintosh SystemDko
The main spot is still large and surrounded by a shrinking penumbra. The smaller spots below it are surrounded by a broad penumbra almost as large as that surrounding the main spot. I think there are two spots there but get the impression of looking at Delicate Arch in Arches National Park, or an Ω.



I have a new Birthday Star

Your birthday star is in the constellation Corona Borealis. It has the name ρ (Rho) Coronae Borealis in Johann Bayer's Uranometria star catalog. It is also called 15 Coronae Borealis in the Historia Cœlestis Britannica of John Flamsteed and Edmund Halley. It is called NS 1601+3318 in the NStars database.

It has visual magnitude 5.39 meaning that you could just see this star with the naked eye under the best viewing conditions. It is marked in the center of this star chart, at celestial coordinates (J2000 equinox):

Right ascension16:1:2.7
Declination33:18:12.6

This star is 56.9 light years away, which means that the light we see from it today set off on its journey at about the same time that you were born. Come back in a month or two and your birthday star may change, as the light from more distant stars reaches Earth.

This star doesn't rise until 2000 EST so it is doubtful that I will get to see it until sometime next month, by which time I may have another new birthday star.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.