12 December 2006

10 December 2006

Observing LocationCSP
Observational Period0500-0830 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature35°F
Wind8
HumidityLow
Feels Like~27° F Wind Chill

When I got home around 0100 EST there was a ring of haze lit up around the Moon about half way down to Castor. The ring was even bigger by the time I got back to 86 St. 3 1/2 hours later and I was a little worried. But it turned out to be a passing cloud. It was clear except for the first 20° above the eastern Horizon. It was a lot warmer than it has been of late but there was still a stiff breeze with some stronger gusts creating a wind chill condition. The wind was also causing a lot of instability in the atmosphere and I had to wait longer than I had planned until the air between me and the Sun was steady enough for me to be sure what I was seeing.

TransparencyGood
SeeingIII-IV
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celesteon Omni 20mm
  • Celesteon Omni 2x Barlow
  • Baader AstroSolar filter film

Nikon CoolPix 990 - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee
Jane Leavenson - AAA
a couple I have observed with here on a prior occasion
a guy with compact binoculars

TargetJupiter-Mercury-Mars Conjunction
ConstellationSco
CategoryPlanet: Occultation/Conjunction/Alignment
Time20061210.0638 EST
Comments 06030638
Time
EST
Event
0530Astronomical Twilight Begins
0555Mercury Rises
0556Mars Rises
0887Jupiter Rises
Nautical Twilight Begins
Civil Twilight Begins
0640-0816Jupiter/Mercury/Mara Conjunction
0709Sun Rises

MercuryWaxing Gibbous
90.2% Illuminated
Mag -0.6
MarsWaning Gibbous
99.3% Illuminated
Mag 1.5
JupiterMag -1.7
G   C  I  (J)    E
Since the Palm had crashed I couldn't look up where the planets were supposed to rise. And a compass would have been useless above all the beams and rebar supporting the park above the East River Drive. So I had to punt. I knew today was a sunrise Manhattan Henge day so figured the sub must rise in line with 86 St. and the planets would rise near there too. I estimated about half way between the fake lighthouse on Roosevelt Island and the clock tower to the right of it on the Queens shore. I was too far south by about three degrees but it didn't matter since I was uncertain of the location and was sweeping the horizon in that general area.

Mercury and Jupiter were lined up fairly vertically with Mars out to their south in a long skinny triangle.

Mars, being the smallest and dimmest, was the last to be found and the first to be lost. Jupiter and Mercury hung on for a long while until I moved the telescope down to the horizon to pick up a landmark to use trying for a last naked-eye sighting and was not able to find them when panning back up to where I thought I had left them. I didn't bother looking for then naked-eye after that.

I did not see any of Jupiter's Galilean moons.

TargetMoon-Saturn Conjunction
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet: Lunar: Occultations/Conjunctions/Alignments
Time20061210.0800 EST
CommentsI hadn't thought of it as such at the time I was looking at it, but reflecting back on how close Saturn was to the limb of the Moon I realize that it was much less than one lunar diameter making the center to center distance between the two objects less than 1° (actually 28.9°), so they were also conjuncted. The conjunction lasted from 0522 until 0934 EST with the appulse occurring at 0736-0739 EST. .The only naked-eye planet that was not visible and not conjuncted with another planet or moon was Venus, which doesn't rise until after the Sun.

I was having trouble telling what I was seeing. The moon was so bright all that was visible was Regulus and Saturn and they initially looked like Castor and Pollux although too close together. I had forgotten Saturn was near Regulus and my Palm had died so I couldn't reference Planetarium. Everything was turned around from what we see at TotL 4-8 hours earlier. That shouldn't make a difference, but it does. I use terrestrial geography as a clue to identifying celestial objects and have a rough mental map of where features were the last time I stopped observing. If I change location, observe at a different time, or don't get to observe for a few days I have trouble adjusting the settings on my mental planisphere to the new reality. I still have a way to go remembering who holds hands with who.

Saturn was visible naked-eye in the daylight sky for a while and was probably recoverable in the telescope until around 0800 EST.

MoonWaning Gibbous
68.7% Illuminated
Mag -10.8
SaturnMag 0.4

Target Sunspots
ConstellationOph
CategorySolar
Time20061210:0800 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-0.30°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
21.94°
Position Angle
(P)
+12.28°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2050

There was a lot of boiling today as a result of the strong winds. Group 930 appeared naked-eye to be a bit left and below the center of the disk.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South1 3 13
Total1 3 13
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 930
Heliographic Latitude -1°
Heliographic Longitude 13°
Mcintosh SystemHko
The umbra appears large and fairly circular while the penumbra appears to be triangular with one small spot in each of two of its corners..

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.