Like I told Peter in an email yesterday, as sure as I build my filter cell we are going to have a Nor'easter. While finishing off construction of the cell this morning I was listening to the NOAA weather forecast on my amateur radio and they are talking about rain starting later today and becoming heavy at times through tomorrow night. The marine forecast is calling for gale force winds. It was looking clear out my window but they were saying it was partly sunny in Central Park and before I got out to do my solar observing it was broken cloud to overcast here. But I am going to look anyway, even though it will be with the compact binoculars since I don't anticipate seeing anything. At least now I have a solar filter that I can use with SAR and should be able to see more sunspots with it due to the 3X more magnification over the binocular.
| Observing Location | VP |
| Observational Period | 1200-1215 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Overcast |
| Temperature | Warm |
| Wind | Calm |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Feels Like | Hot |
In photographic terms it was cloudy bright - it was completely overcast but the clouds were thin enough to see the sun through them, although not thin enough to observe anything on it.
|
| Instruments | Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/gold welder's glass - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Liv |
| Category | Solar |
| Time | 20061107.1200 EST |
| Comments |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | +3.68° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 99.06° |
Position Angle (P) | +23.23° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2049 |
I can’t tell if there are any spots there today or not. The clouds streaking past are obscuring anything that might be there although the Sun’s disk is clearly visible, just no detail on it.
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | | | |
| South | | | |
| Total | | | |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
|
|---|
|
NOAA is forecasting a 100% chance of rain from midnight tonight through sunset tomorrow night.
NOAA graphic
Clear Sky Clock is white for their forseeable future.
CSC graphic
It looks like I will probably be watching the transit on the Web.
<< Home