07 November 2006

5 November 2006

First Light

This morning I bought a used Nikon CoolPix 990 digital camera to replace the CoolPix 950 that I dropped, breaking the lens mechanism. When I got home I took it out to try it out on the Sun. I don't think the light buckets on the CCD are small enough to capture sunspots without using a binocular or telescope to magnify the image for the camera.

This is an image of the Sun with the camera set at maximum wide angle.

Here is the Sun at maximum optical zoom.

Here is the Sun at maximum digital zoom.

This image was made with the camera set at maximum zoom with the Nikon TC-E2 2x Tele Converter added.

Here I am using the TV-E2 and have zoomed the camera to maximum digital zoom (4x).

I need to repeat these tests another day when the sky is clear.

We were always advised to eschew the digital zoom because it made lousy pictures so I figured I should find out just how lousy they are since I used it in the test above. I was surprised at how little the image suffered from it. Here is the maximum optical zoom on the camera and a full size section of that image.

This is with the camera set to 4x digital zoom and a full size detail.

There is some obvious image degradation with the digital zoom but at the size I display the images in this blog it isn't apparent.



Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1300-1345 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverOvercast
TemperatureCool
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeA little raw

TransparencyPoor
SeeingV
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Nikon CoolPix 990 w/TC-E2 2x Tele Converter and gold welder's glass
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationLib
CategorySolar
Time20061105.1300 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
+3.91°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
119.98°
Position Angle
(P)
+23.65°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2049

When I left downtown there was a nice blue sky but it had clouded over again by the time I got home. Since I had been seeing some strong shadows I went up to the oval anyway hoping that there would be some breaks in the clouds that would permit me to count the sunspots. That didn't happen although I sat there for 45 minutes experimenting with my camera. After I got back home and was reviewing my pictures I noticed nice blue sky again, at least to the NE. The only thing I could tell about the Sun was that there were two bipolar groups there.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South2 ? 20+
Total2 ? 20+
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 921
Heliographic Latitude -9°
Heliographic Longitude 160°
Mcintosh System
I don't see the numbers of small spots in this group that I was seeing there last week, but don't know if they are really gone or if they are being obscured by the constantly moving clouds.
Group 922
Heliographic Latitude -14°
Heliographic Longitude 143°
Mcintosh System
The spots in this group apear do be larger and darker again today.



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1945-2145 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
becoming
Overcast
TemperatureCool
WindCalm to Gentle Breezed
gisting to
Fresh Breeze
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeCold

I hadn't planned to observe tonight but when I came home from dinner it was clear and I could see stars so I grabbed my gear and headed downtown hoping someone else would show up. About 2030 EST it started getting cloudy and shortly became overcast. The moon was still visible through the clouds but as they thickened it lost its crispness.

TransparencyGoon
becoming
Opaque
SeeingII
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Nikon CoolPix 990 w/TC-E2 2x Tele Converter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
When the moon is full it is as if the eternal light of the Great Spirit were upon the whole world.

Black Elk
Sioux

TargetMoon
ConstellationAri
CategoryLunar
Time20061105.2030 EST
Comments
Lunation1037
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Age>14d20h15m
Fujk +12h31m
Elongation171.66°W
% Illuminated99.5%
Magnitude-12.7
Altitude40.85°
The Moon was full today at 0759 EST.
  • Crater Neper, right of Mare Crissium, looks like the wall rises up from the terminator-looks like a burst pimple. East wall is completely lit and floor in shadow
  • Aristarchus doesn't look any brighter than Proclus, whick has a bright streak going nearly to Mare Serenitstis.
  • Lunar halo is bright at the limb then gets dark then bright again before turning red. When it was shining through the clouds the halo was 5° wide.
  • Mare Smythii is right on the terminator.
  • All the mountains around Mare Imbrium; Alpa, Caucusus, Apennines and Carpathians, are hard To see
  • Leading edge of approaching clouds illuminated by Moon looks like parchment.

Here is the consolation prize on nights like tonight when the clouds come in.


full size image
You can even see the gegenschein of Times Square.



I played with the camera a bit tonight trying to figure out exposure for the Moon and how to use the camera in the fully manual mode.

If I were photographing the moon with a manual camera I would use the Sunny 16 rule (1/ASA @ f/16) since the Moon is in full sunlight any time we can see it. To even try this I first had to figure out how to set both the shutter speed and the aperture. By accident I discovered that if I went into Aperture mode and set an f-stop there and then went back to Manual mode the f-stop I had selected in Aperture mode was what Manual mode would use. I did the same thing in Speed mode and Manual mode remembered the shutter speed I had selected in Speed mode. So now I could control both settings. I made a series of exposures halving the amount of light recorded on each subsequent exposure until the preview image looked too dark then went a little farther (I know from experience not to trust the little LCD screen). Here are the unadjusted results (I have cropped the images to show just the moon and resized them to fit on the blog, but didn't adjust exposure at all).

I made the images with the w/TC-E2 2x Tele Converter and 4X digital zoom. The camera was hand held against the shoulder of my tripod to provide some stability. When I get serious about doing this I am going to have to bring my Bogen Magic Arm.

I also tried taking some pictures through the binocular. I had a lot of trouble finding and staying on the optical axis of the binocular. I will need a mount of some kind to make that easier. Focusing was also a problem but I need to get a mount before I can do anything about it as it is taking both of my hands to keep the camera in place once I find where that place is.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.