28 November 2006

28 November 2006

Listening to NOAA weather radio I have been noticing that they don’t announce cloud cover the way I had previously found it listed in Jetstream so I had to go back to that source to see how they define the terms they use in the announcement.
Clear Skies
Skies are clear when no clouds or obscurations are observed or detected from the point of observation.
Cloudy Skies
When the predominant/average sky condition is covered completely by opaque (not transparent) clouds. In other words, 8 octants of the sky is covered by opaque clouds.
Considerable Cloudiness
When the predominant/average sky condition is covered by more than half, but not completely covered by opaque (not transparent) clouds. In other words, 5/8 to 7/8 of the sky is covered by opaque clouds. Same as Mostly Cloudy
Fog
A visible aggregate of minute water particle (droplets) which are based at the Earth's surface and reduces horizontal visibility to less than 5/8 statue mile, and unlike drizzle, it does not fall to the ground. It occurs most frequently in coastal regions because of the great water vapor content of the air. However, it can occur anywhere. The rapidity with which fog can form makes it especially hazardous. It forms by any atmospheric process that does one of the following:
  • Cools the air to its dew point, or
  • Raises the dew point to the air temperature.
Names given to fog types identify their methods of formation. The principle types are radiation fog, ice fog, advection fog, upslope fog, rain induced fog, and steam fog. These types of fog are called "dense" when the surface visibility is equal to or less than 1/4 miles. A Dense Fog Advisory will be issued when the dense fog becomes widespread.
Haze
A concentration of salt particles or other dry particles not readily classified as dust or other phenomenon. Occurs in stable air usually only a few thousand feet thick, but may extend as high as 15,000 feet. Haze layers often have definite tops above which the visibilities are good. However, the visibility in the haze layer can be very poor.
Mostly Clear
When the predominant/average sky condition is covered 1/8 to 2/8 with opaque (not transparent) clouds. Sometime called Mostly Sunny if it is during the day.
Mostly Cloudy
When the predominant/average sky condition is covered by more than half, but not completely covered by opaque (not transparent) clouds. In other words, 5/8 to 7/8 of the sky is covered by opaque clouds. Same as considerable cloudiness
Mostly Sunny
When the predominant/average sky condition is covered 1/8 to 2/8 with opaque (not transparent) clouds. Same as Mostly Clear.
Partly Cloudy
When the predominant/average sky condition is covered 3/8 to 4/8 with opaque (not transparent) clouds. Same as Partly Sunny
Partly Sunny
When the predominant/average sky condition is covered 3/8 to 4/8 with opaque (not transparent) clouds. Same as Partly Cloudy
Smog
Originally smog meant a mixture of smoke and fog. Now, it means air that has restricted visibility due to pollution or pollution formed in the presence of sunlight--photochemical smog.

Comparing these terms with the ones that I previously found I find that there is no direct translation between them.

1/82/83/84/85/86/87/88/8
ClearMostly Clear
Mostly Sunny
Partly Clear
Partly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Considerable Cloudiness
Cloudy
ClearIsolated CloudsScattered CloudsBroken CloudsOvercast
10%25%50%90%100%

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.