25 November 2006

25 November 2006

Observing LocationVP
The Sun is low enough now that I am going to have to move back to PSC for a while to get an unobstructed view.
Observational Period1045-1100 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature45°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeBrisk

The sky isn't as deep a shade of blue as it could be so there is some light haze up there.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binocular w/gold shade 14 welder's glass - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationSco
CategorySolar
Time20061125.1045 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
+1.58°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
217.56°
Position Angle
(P)
+18.12°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2050

I did not are any plage or spots again today.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2030-2400 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature40s F
WindLight Breeze<
HumidityModerate
Feels LikeRaw

There were some fair weather cumulus clouds down to the south when I arrived but they cleared off then filled back in again as we were packing up. By then cloud cover was Scattered to Broken but we had packed up so it didn't matter. The clouds were moving SW to NE.

NOAA said there would be a light breeze early in the evening and then it would die down. That didn't happen. There was a light breeze blowing out of the south all night.

The air felt a little moist all night and my bags felt moist when I packed up. Due to the humidity transparency wasn't as good tonight as last night but was better than usual.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Takahashi 102 refractor - Peter
Pentax 20x60 binocular - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee
Hawaiian George
Times Up New York Midnight Central Park Ride - ~25 cyclists

TargetThe Pleiadea, M45
ConstellationTau
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20061125.2045 EST
CommentsA couple stopped by before Peter had his scope set up or I my binocular and wanted to see something so I got out the binocular and dropped in on the Pleiades. The cluster was about half way up the sky and we could see six stars at that time. Later in the night when they were closer to the zenith my count dropped to five.

Peter tells me that I have been listing the stars seen incorrectly. He says I am seeing Atlas and am not seeing Celaeno. In effect I have shifted my view one star to the right. I am sure he is correct as he knows the sky much better than I do, but that isn't the way I figured it from the picture in the lady Sky at Night magazine.

TargetKemble's Cascade & NGC1502
ConstellationCam
CategoryAsterism
Time20061125.2102 EST
CommentsThe upper part of the cascade was much less distinct than the lower. I could not see any indication of NGC1502 but the double star.

TargetCastor
ConstellationGem
CategoryDouble Star
Time20061125.2155 EST
CommentsNeither Peter nor I could split it in my binocular. In his scope at low to medium power it looks like a big star with another star about half as big tangent to it. I did not split them and was not even sure I was seeing the secondary rather than flare.
Sigma Ori

TargetSigma Orionis
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Star
Time20061125.2200 EST
CommentsA wide triple system with a fourth faint star to the primary's 10:00. The primary is cream colored. The dim star appears orange to me, blue to Peter. There is a wide triple above it.

In the binocular I can see the primary and one star to the left.

TargetM42/M43
ConstellationOri
CategoryDSO: Neb
Time20061125.2230 EST
CommentsIn Peter's scope I see lots of nebulosity around M42 and can see the fish mouth. There is a wide ring of nebulosity around M43 that looks like a halo around the Moon.

Kin says my Frog is a guy with braces and Peter says my Leaping Fingerling is a boat.

TargetNair Al Saif, ι Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Star
Time20061125.2243 EST
CommentsAn easily split very unequal double (2.8/6.9, 11.3"). There are a couple of wider apparent doubles nearby but they are not marked as doubles in Planetarium.



The leader of the cyclists asked about the meaning of the star name Capella, α Aur. I don't remember what he thought it meant but was taking its meaning from music and the term for unaccompanied singing, a cappella (acappella, acapella, a capella, acapella or a capela). Peter wasn't sure but speculated that since it as the alpha star of the constellation it might be something to do with the head then deferred to me since I make notes of all the meanings of new star names I run across. I didn't know either and don't remember ever having studied Auriga so had to look it up when I got home.

Mythology
One of the first constellations to be named, but the reason for the name has been lost. Perhaps its early naming relates to it having an A name. It is depicted as a charioteer carrying a goat in the crook of his left arm. He may represent either a Roman god, Hephaestus, or his son, Erechtheus, both of whom were lame and are both credited by the Greeks with the invention of the chariot as the first kind of wheelchair.
NameBayer
Flamsteed
Mag.MeaningComment
Capellaα Aur0.08little she-host
Latin
6th brightest star in the sky
Al Anzε Aur3.03one of the "kids"
one of the brightest stars of the Milky Waya 5-star multiple star system
Haedi
(Sadstoni)
(Saclateni)
ζ Aur3.69one of the "kids"
a binary system
Hoedis IIη Aur3.!8one of the "kids"
Hassalehι Aur2.69Auriga's foot
Alnath
El Nath
β Tau1.65 the butting oneofficially the star is actually part of Taurus although it forms one of the corners of Auriga
θ Aur2.65
Menkalinanβ Aur1.90shoulder of the rein-holder
Arabic
eclipsing binary
ν Aur3.97one of the "false kids"
τ Aur4.51one of the "false kids"
υ Aur4.72one of the "false kids"

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.