| Observing Location | VP |
| Observational Period | 1055-1110 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 50s |
| Wind | Light Breeze |
| Humidity | Low |
| Feels Like | Nice Fall Day |
|
| Instruments | Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/shade #14 gold welder's glass - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Sco |
| Category | Solar |
| Time | 20061124.1055 EST |
| Comments |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | +1.70° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 230.65° |
Position Angle (P) | +18.46° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2050 |
There was some wavering of the image going on they was not being caused by movement of the binocular. I could not detect any features on the Sun's disk today.
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| South | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Total | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
|
|---|
|
| Observing Location | TotL |
| Observational Period | 2015-0115 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 40s F |
| Wind | Light Breeze gusting to Fresh Breeze then becoming Calm |
| Humidity | Low |
| Feels Like | Cold |
I had dressed for the weather and it was clear enough out that I was considering staying until the police invited me to leave because the park was closed but by 1230 EST my feet were numb and so were by PDA batteries so I packed it in shortly thereafter.
I had initially assessed transparency as Excellent but remember that I only saw six of the Pliades and didn’t see all of the Little Dipper so downgraded it to Good.
|
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Audubon 6x16 monocular - Kin
|
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
Kin Lee
|
|---|
I have downloaded an extended star catalog and an updated comets file for Planetarium. Now I can display fainter stars than I can see with any of my or Peter's optics.
| Target | C/2006 M4 (SNOW) |
| Constellation | Aql |
| Category | Comet/Asteroid/Meteor |
| Time | 20061124.2033 EST |
| Comments | I saw what appeared to be two winking light sources, one more solid than the other. SNOW is supposed to be right next to a 7th magnitude star. They were setting into the trees already. |
|---|
|
| Target | Neptune |
| Constellation | Cap |
| Category | Planet |
| Time | 20061124.2044 EST |
| Comments | There were two points of light where Planetarium said there should only be one star and the planet. |
|---|
|
| Target | Uranus |
| Constellation | Aqr |
| Category | Planet |
| Time | 20061124.2057 EST |
| Comments | Wasn't sure I had it directly so had to jump out of Cap to confirm it. It appeared faint and gray to blue |
|---|
|
| Target | (7) Iris |
| Constellation | Ari |
| Category | Comet/Asteroid/Meteor |
| Time | 20061124.2104 EST |
| Comments | It may have been detected but needed someone else to confirm it. |
|---|
|
| Target | ζ Cet & 53 Cet |
| Constellation | Cet |
| Category | Double Star |
| Time | 2006 EST |
| Comments | 53 Cet is a wide double. A nice progression in magnitude drop from 3.74 to 4.2 to 6.7 as you scan from easy to west. ζ Cet looks a little gold while the 53 Cet double stars are white. |
|---|
|
| Target | Menkar, α Cet |
| Constellation | Cet |
| Category | Double Star |
| Time | 20061124.2126 EST |
| Comments | Bright golden star
Nice color and magnitude contrast with the blue secondary star above it. |
|---|
|
| Target | Taurus |
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Constellation |
| Time | 20061124.2132 EST |
| Comments | I haven’t spent time in the bull’s feet, looking mostly at the stars of the Hyades, some of which are visible naked eye, but tonight when I was poking around in Cetus I saw a couple of stars nearby that turned out to be a foot and I decided to hop around the rest of that part of the constellation.
- Mythology
- The Sun used to be in Taurus in the spring so it is believed that the bull became the symbol for this constellation because it symbolized strength and fertility.
In Greek mythology Zeus became a white bull in order to seduce Europa. She sat on his back and he swam away with her which is why the hindquarters of the bull are not depicted (they were submerged beneath the water).
I don’t see anything in the Audubon field guide to indicate how the bull came to be called Taurus. When the Sun was in Taurus in the spring the associated Egyptian god was Apis, the Bull of Memphis.
 Stelarium graphic
I knew I had seen this picture somewhere and just came across my 2005 Celestial Almanac by Ottewell. He paints the cover himself and has devited a page and a half to the legend and the constellation.
| Name | Bayer Flamsteed | Mag. | Meaning | Comment |
| | ω Tau | 3.61 | | |
| | 5 Tau | 4.14 | | cream colored |
| | ξ Tau | 3.73 | | blue |
| | 47 Tau | 4.9/7.3 | | too close for me to split primary is gold |
| | υ Tau | 4.27 | | white |
| | HIP18907 | 3.91 | | cream colored |
|
|---|
|
| Target | Hayades |
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Asterism |
| Time | 20061124.2140 EST |
| Comments | A lot of the stars look creamier tonight than they did the last time I observed. |
|---|
|
| Target | Leaping Minnow |
| Constellation | Aur |
| Category | Asterism |
| Time | 20061124.2147 EST |
| Comments | This asterism really doesn't remind me of a minnow although I can see how you can make it into one if you have to make it into something. At its heart are 5 pairs of stars in a line following the long axis of the constellation.
- The first 2 pairs, working from the center of the constellation outward, are bright white stars and form a parallelogram.
- The 3rd pair has the widest spacing and is also the faintest pair.
- The 4th pair is very unequal in brightness with the lower star appearing to be the brightest in the asterism and golden in color. This pair leans over more to the right than the parallelogram pairs do.
- The last pair is also faint and is kicked down lower than the rest.
- There is one more bright star a way off to the edge of the constellation that is a little fainter than the parallelogram and roughly in line with its bottom.
- there is also a faint star out on the inside end where the mouth of the minnow would be.
 Stelarium graphic
This is a compact asterism that is easy to see and which I use to find the frog asterism (described below) below it. |
|---|
|
| Target | The Frog |
| Constellation | Aur |
| Category | Asterism |
| Time | 20061124.2159 EST |
| Comments | Ben lays claim to having named this asterism the Cheshire Cat. I don't relate well to cats and it has been years since I have seen my Alice in Wonderland book so don't know the Cheshire Cat is supposed to look like.
I used to think of this as a smiley face like we make on the internet with a colon and closing parentheses [ :) ] but the eyes have always been set too far apart and too close to the mouth for me. It took a while before I even recognized it as a smiley face.
Recently I saw an exhibition on ehon, Japanese bookmaking, at the New York Public Library and am reminded of one of the books that has a picture of a frog in it. That is what this asterism is to me; a flattened head that is all mouth with two wide set beady eyes protruding above the water.
Since asterisms are unofficial groupings of stars that mean something to the person who recognized them this is going to be the frog to me irrespective of how others see it. There is even precedent for asterisms being named differently by different people to wit, the most famous asterism in the sky, the Big Dipper, is called the Plough by the British (and they don’t even spell it the way we would if we called it that).
- Two fairly equally bright stars about .75° apart with a broken arc of six stars of varying brightnesses paralleling it.
- The four stars in the arc under the frog's left eye are the brightest ones.
- There is a gap in the arc where his tongue must be hanging out of his mouth.
- Then there are two faint stars.
 Stelarium graphic
M38 is near the end of the arc with only two stars.
Harmony Kingdom, Tongue and Cheek, ©1998 I have one of these little boxes that I bought in Puerto Rico and will get my own picture here as soon as I make one.
|
|---|
|
| Target | NGC1907 |
| Constellation | Aur |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061124.2224 EST |
| Comments | To the east of M38 between HIP25733 and HIP25476.
I am resolving more faint stars here than in M38
|
|---|
|
| Target | M38 |
| Constellation | Aur |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061124.2226 EST |
| Comments | I can only resolve three stars here. |
|---|
|
| Target | NGC1893 |
| Constellation | Aur |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061124.2232 EST |
| Comments | I can see some stardust over a large area below the mouth end of the Leaping Minnow |
|---|
|
| Target | Leaping Fingerling |
| Constellation | Aur |
| Category | Asterism |
| Time | 20061124.2236 EST |
| Comments | If the other one is a Leaping Minnow this one, being smaller, must be a Leaping Fingerling.
It is below the Leaping Minnow and diagonally below the Frog's left mouth-corner
Four stars in an upside down trapezoid for the body with two dim stars pointing diagonally down for the tail
I stumbled upon it while trying to get to M37. |
|---|
|
| Target | M37 |
| Constellation | Aur |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061124.2242 EST |
| Comments | Below the Frog's right mouth corner and even with the Leaping Fingerling I could see an area of faint brightness that is easiest seen when slewing the binocular
It may be trying to resolve when I put it at the right edge of the FoV.
|
|---|
|
| Target | NGC2129 |
| Constellation | Gem |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061124.2252 EST |
| Comments | Detected
I am seeing more than three stars at HIP28513 but can't tell any more than that. |
|---|
|
| Target | M35, NGC2168 |
| Constellation | Gem |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061124.2257 EST |
| Comments | I see a lot of winking faint stars close to TYC1881-01595-1. |
|---|
|
| Target | Barnard’s Loop |
| Constellation | Ori |
| Category | DSO: Neb |
| Time | 20061124.2310 EST |
| Comments | I always look near Alnitak to try and see M78, but never do. Tonight there is a wash of white light just east of the star. It is too close to the star to be Milky Way but about where I would expect to find Barnard’s Loop. Peterson’s says the Loop shows up on long exposure photographs. I am probably not seeing the Loop but don't know what else it would be. I don't know of any buildings over there that would be throwing up that much light.  Carted du Ciel graphic
|
|---|
|
| Target | M42 & M42
|
| Constellation | Ori |
| Category | DSO: Neb |
| Time | 200611242315 EST |
| Comments | I can see nebulosity at M42 but not at M43. M42 is not as intense as I have seen it on prior occasions. |
|---|
|
| Target | M44, Praesepe, the Beehive Cluster, NGC 2632 |
| Constellation | Cnc |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061124.2317 EST |
| Comments | The Beehive was rising into the big tree to the NE of TotL and looks a bit subdued tonight. It is still low in the atmosphere. |
|---|
|
| Target | M45, The Pleiades, NGC1432 |
| Constellation | Ori |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061124.2338 EST |
| Comments | Only six stars were seen even with the cluster near zenith. But none of them were winking tonight.
- Alcyone, 2,85m
- Merope, 4.14m
- Electra, 3.72m
- Maia, 3.87m
- Caelano, 5.45
- Taygeta, 4.30
|
|---|
|
| Target | Columba, The Dove |
| Constellation | Col |
| Category | Constellation |
| Time | 20061124.2344 EST |
| Comments | This is my first time in the constellation. I saw a couple of naked-eye stars right above the trees in Manhattan East and investigated.
- Mythology
- This is a modern constellation created from stars that previously belonged to Canis Major so has no associated mytholory.
| Name | Bayer Flamsteed | Mag. | Meaning | Comment |
| | ε Col | 3.86 | | |
| | HIP26019 | 5.75 | | |
Phaet Phaed | α Col | 2.65 | dove Arabic | double star (NS) |
Wezen Wezn | β Col | 3.12 | weight Arabic | golden there is also a Wezen in CMa |
| | γ Col | 4.36 | | |
| | κ Col | 4.37 | | |
| | δ Col | 3.85 | | |
| | η Col | 3.96 | | |
|
|---|
|
| Target | Canis Major, The Great Dog |
| Constellation | CMa |
| Category | Constellation |
| Time | 20061125.0003 EST |
| Comments | Canis Major was rising from behind the trees standing on his hind legs. I was not able to see the stars of the head naked-eye.
Usually when I see two stars with the same Bayer designation and a subscript they are fairly close together. In CMa there are two duplicate Bayer designations; ν and ο. The pair of ν stars are fairly close together but one of the οs is on the dog's rump and the other on his belly. They are far apart even to the naked-eye.
- Mythology
- Originally the name Canis Major was used for the star Sirius. Because there were so many dogs in mythology we don’t know whose dog this really is – he is in effect a stray who has been adopted, among with Canis Minor, by Orion.
| Name | Bayer Flamsteed | Mag. | Meaning | Comment |
| Murzim | β CMa | 1.98 | herads Arabic | |
| Sirius | α CMa | -1.44 | the Dog Star | brightest star in the sky |
| | ν2 CMa | 3.95 | | |
| | ο2 CMa | 3.02 | | |
| | ο1 CMa | 3.89 | | |
| Wezen | δ CMa | 1.83 | the weight Arabic | There is also a Wezen in Col |
| σ CMa | 3.49 | | |
| Adhara | ε CMa | 1.5/7.5 | the virgins Arabic | double star |
| Aludra | η CMa | 2.4/6.9 | from virginity Arabic | wide double but a faint secondary |
|
|---|
|
| Target | Saturn |
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Planet |
| Time | 20061125.0022 EST |
| Comments | Bigger than a star and not round; cream colored and bright.
|
|---|
|
| Target | Puppis, The Poop |
| Constellation | Pup |
| Category | Constellation |
| Time | 20061125.0029 EST |
| Comments | This is a faint constellation, at least the part of it that I could see tonight, and is just above the trees so not in a favorable position in the sky.
- Mythology
- This is another modern constellation, the stars having come from the obsolete constellation Argo Navis (the ship Argo) which must have foundered on the rocks because its stars still bear nautical names but are contained in three different constellations. This happened after Bayer had assigned his Greek letters to the stars so there is no α Pup.
| Name | Bayer Flamsteed | Mag. | Meaning | Comment |
| | HIP36514 | 4.65 | | |
| | HIP36917 | 4.65 | | |
| | 3 Pup | 3.94 | | |
| | κ Pup | 3.80 | | |
| | ο Pup | 4.40 | | |
| Azmidiske | ξ Pup | 3.3/5.3 | | wide double gold/orange |
There are bunches of NGCs in this part of the sky but it is too low on the horizon for seeing faint fuzzies. I looked for but did not find the following objects:
- NGC2482
- NGC2453
- NGC2452
- NGC2467 – I see are the arc of 3 stars to its left and occasionally the nearby TYC 6561-0279-1
|
|---|
|
| Target | The Engagement Ring |
| Constellation | UMi |
| Category | Asterism |
| Time | 20061125.0051 EST |
| Comments | I can see six stars plus the diamond, Polaris. |
|---|
|
| Target | M40 |
| Constellation | UMa |
| Category | |
| Time | 20061125.0055 EST |
| Comments | Not Seen
These stars are below the limiting magnitude of my binocular. |
|---|
|
<< Home