01 November 2006

1 November 2006

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1000-1015 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature63°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeIndian Summer

This is the third day in a row that the temperature will too out near 70°. Since it is already in the mid 60s, I expect it to actually break the 70 mark today.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationLib
CategorySolar
Time20061101.1000 EST
Comments
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
+4.34°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
174.37°
Position Angle
(P)
+24.32°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2049

This is a very exciting Sun today. If we were deeper into the sunspot cycle it would not be so, but since the Sun has been kind of bland lately a group, or group of groups, of this complexity is very stimulating. Yesterday I called thud two groups and NOAA called it one. Mt initial reaction this morning was that it might be one group and that there is now another group trailing it. Now that it is time to write this up, all of 30 minutes later, I am going to reverse myself and say that I was right yesterday and that there are there groups there today. With all of their resources NOAA is probably right; my two groups from yesterday are probably a very large bipolar group. The void areas around the spots look life they may be merging. If everything I am seeing today is one group it is huge.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South3 10 40
Total3 10 40
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 921
Heliographic Latitude -13°
Heliographic Longitude 144°
Mcintosh SystemBxi
This is the cluster of four spots that is farthest into the center of the disk. I may be seeing thin penumbra around the two largest spits but I am not confident of that. The cluster is circled by a void area that is more apparent on the leading edge and sides. On the trailing edge the void area seems to have merged with the leading edge of the void area of the trailing cluster of spots.
Group ?
Heliographic Latitude -13°
Heliographic Longitude 139°
Mcintosh SystemBxi
This cluster is either a part of what I called Group 921 yesterday that has blossomed overnight, or it is the group I called Group ? Yesterday that has blossomed. The cluster contains five spots in a fairly tight group that is surrounded by a void area that is most evident on the trailing edge and sides. On the leading edge the void area seems to merge with that of the preceding cluster of spots.

Remembering back to yesterday, the spatial relationship among the various spots makes it most likely that this cluster of spots is the trailing edge of what I called Group 921 yesterday and that it has continued to develop.

I just checked SpaceWeather and they are saying this is part of group 921 and that the little spot behind it is Group 922

Group 922
Heliographic Latitude -12°
Heliographic Longitude 128°
Mcintosh SystemAxx
This is a single gray spot that trails all of the others and is below the line of their long axis. It looks like, and is in the same relative position as my Group ? Of yesterday.



My Sunspot Count

This is a graph of my sunspot count since 26Jun04. I haven't figured a way to differentiate between days when I didn't see any spots and days when I wasn't able to make an observation.



Water Content of Snow

There is 1" of water in
15"Dry, powdery snow
10"Average snow
4-5"Heavy, wet snow

OR

1" of snow contains
Dry, powdery snow0.07"
Average snow0.1"
Heavy, wet snow0.2-0.25"
of water

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.