06 October 2006

6 October 2006

I have been reading the book RadioScience Observing by Joseph J. Carr, ISBN 0-7906-1127-9 and made some notes/quotes from the chapter on Detecting Meteors by Radio:

Meteors

Meteors have been called the “driftwood of space” because they are formed from the debris of space. Now that we have a lot of man-made space junk up there, I suppose that not all meteors are natural material. Meteors consist of pieces as small as a grain of dust, or big enough to do some really serious damage on Earth. Some scientists believe that the extinction of the dinosaurs occurred because of a massive meteor hit, probably in the Gulf of Mexico or Yucatan area of Mexico. In Arizona, there is a meteor crater that is a mile wide and 600 feet deep. That’s serious! Incoming meteors have velocities ranging from 11 kilometers per second (km/s) to 72 km/s.

When a meteor hits the atmosphere, it packs a large amount of energy. The energy is given up in the form of friction and ionization of the atmosphere. The friction is great enough to heat the meteor to incandescence, which is seen by us as shooting stars. Oddly, for all the great visual display, only ten percent of the energy is accounted for my friction. The rest is by ionization; unless, of course, the meteor is large enough to hit the earth’s surface, in which case some of the energy is expended, making the ground shudder.

Ionization by incoming meteors occurs as low as 50 kilometers (km) and as high as 150 km, with most being in the range of 80 km to 110 km.

Observing Opportunities

Meteor hits to our atmosphere occur all the time. One source claims that more than 100 million dust-sized particles hit Earth’s atmosphere every day, and many of them are visible. Look into the sky on most nights and you will occasionally see a shooting star. These are meteors. Although meteors impinge Earth all the time, there are several instances every year when the incidence goes up, when a “meteor shower” occurs. Table 13-1 shows the major showers with the peak dates, observation times for 40 degrees north latitude and 55 degrees north latitude [not copied here], and the antenna offset direction for maximum yield [also not copied here].

Table 13-1. Meteor shower data

ShowerPeakVelocity
(km/s)
Rate/HrPathTime
(Local)
QuadrantidsJan 1-44250NW-SE0200-0740
E-W0740-0900
NE-SW0900-1430
Eta AquaridsMay 1-66415NE-SW0400-0630
E-W0630-0830
NW-SE0830-1050
ArietidsJune 1-153960N-S0600-0745
NE-SW0745-0830
E-W0830-1015
NW-SE1015-1155
N-S1155-1425
PerseidsAug 12-136150NW-SE2330-0430
E-W0430-0730
NE-SW0730-1230
OrionidsOct 21-226720N-S0015-0145
NE-SW0145-0350
E-W0350-0500
NW-SE0500-0700
N-S0700-0830
LeonidsNov 14-187210N-S0200-0430
NE-SW0430-0600
E-W0600-0700
NW-SE0700-0840
N-S0840-1100
GeminidsDec 10-143560N-S2115-0100
NE-SW0100-0200
E-E0200-0230
NW-SE0230-0330
N-S0330-0700

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.