03 October 2006

2 October 2006

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1145-1200 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverMostly clear
Temperaturemid-60s
HumidityLow
WindLight gusts
Feels LikeCool but comfortable


TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationVir
CategorySolar
Time20061002.1145 EDT
Comments
Heliographic
Latitude
(B0)
+6.65°
Heliographic
Longitude
(L0)
209.67°
Position
Angle
(PA)
+26.06°
Carrington
Rotation
Number
(CR)
2048

Again today I could only see two spots. I think the contrast is too high for me to pick out the little spot over in the west. Looking in Space Weather yesterday I saw that all of the spots are in the southern hemisphere. I had wondered about that last night since I was having trouble rotating the Sun enough to get the faint upper spot, Group 914, into the northern hemisphere before the Sun would be setting.
 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South2 2 22
Total2 2 22
R = (Geoups * 10) + Spots)
Group 913
Heligraphic
Latitude
-5°
Heliographic Longitude170°
McIntosh SystemAxx
The lower spot is larger and appears more solid but not as much so as it did yesterday. I don't detect any penumbra or surrounding granular texture on the Sun.
Group 914
Heligraphic
Latitude
-22°
Heliographic Longitude170°
McIntosh SystemAxx
I probably would have missed this spot if it hadn't been right over the other one or if I hadn't known it was there.



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1945-0115 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverLight and Variable
Temperature60-59
HumidityLow-High
WindCalm
Feels LikeCool and Raw
When I arrived there were light streaks of cloud running E-W. Late in the evening the clouds pretty much dissipated but there was a light haze. I counted eight Pleiades and then, a little while later, only three, but still later my count went back up to seven.

TransparencyVariable
SeeingVariable
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Hairy (The Kite): DIY 6" Newtonian Reflector - Peter
Takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter
Fujinon 7x50 binocular - Peter
Celestron 7x50 binocular - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee
Billy from SC
My Palm is suffering a meltdown and needs to be replaced. The keyboard is going crazy and sometime doesn't show typed characters or sometimes shows them double or sometimes a character won't show and the previous character will be capitalized. Add that to the digitizer problems I have been having since soon after I got the unit. These problems are making the unit unreliable in the extreme. But on top of that it keeps turning itself on and killing the batteries. I really like having the thumbboard and can type faster on it than I can write and unfortunately Palm no longer markets a unit with a thumbboard. I will probably end up with a Tungsten X which is their top of the line model and will run Planetarium. But it has a different connector and will not work with my Power To Go battery pack.

As a result of not having my Palm working I didn't observe anything in my binoculars that I couldn't locate from memory. That list of items isn't as short any more as it once was but it is still comforting to have Planetarium there to confirm my memory and to identify things I stumble across..

Tonight I didn't make notes about anything I did observe. I started out with the binocular on the moon in case any passers by wanted to take a look, but was just enjoying the sky myself. Billy from Beaufort, SC, came by and took a look then stayed to talk for a good while. I showed him Alberio and a couple of other things and he left and I went back to enjoying the sky.

Peter arrived and we looked in UMi and Per to see how deeply we could see. I didn't see as much tonight as I did the last time we performed this exercise, although I did see a good bit, and it took a concerted effort to see a lot of what I did see.

Billy from SC came back once he saw the Moon in Peter's scope wanted to see everything, and wanted everyone walking by to see it too. He gathered a small crowd.

Kin left and Billy from SC left and Peter and I stuck it out. The police came by at 0100 EDT to kick us out but Peter talked to them while I was packing up my gear and showed them the Moon and bought time to look for another galaxy he wanted to try in Perseus.


To Jane: 'The Keen Stars Were Twinkling'
by Percy Bysshe Shelley

The keen stars were twinkling,
And the fair moon was rising among them,
Dear Jane!
The guitar was tinkling,
But the notes were not sweet till you sung them
Again.

As the moon's soft splendour
O'er the faint cold starlight of Heaven
Is thrown,
So your voice most tender
To the strings without soul had then given
Its own.

The stars will awaken,
Though the moon sleep a full hour later,
To-night;
No leaf will be shaken
Whilst the dews of your melody scatter
Delight.

Though the sound overpowers,
Sing again, with your dear voice revealing
A tone
Of some world far from ours,
Where music and moonlight and feeling
Are one.



TargetMoon
Constellation
CategoryLunar
Time20061002.1950 EDT
Comments
Lunation1036
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age>10.5 days
Elongation
% Illuminated76.7%
Magnitude
Altitude25.50
  • The terminator is just outside Mare Imbrium.
  • The craters Sharp and Mairan on the western edge of Mare Imbrium well into the shadow but the tops of their walls are in morning light.
  • The central peak in Gassende is visible although most of the crater floor is still in shadow.
  • Three rays are visible out of Tycho.

TargetDouble Cluster, NGC869 & NGC884
ConstellationPer
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20061002 EDT
CommentsThe clusters looked nice in Peter’s scope filling the center of the FOV. NGC869 appears as a ring of bright stars filled with stardust. NGC884 is two bright stars surrounded by stardust. Of the two 884 is richer but 869 is easier seen and more spectacular, if that word can be used to describe it.

TargetThe Andromeda Galazy, M31, & M32
ConstellationAnd
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time20061002 EDT
CommentsNow that I know what I am looking for M32 is easy to identify in the telescopes. I don’t think I will ever see it in my binocular from NYC.

TargetThe Ring Nebula, M57
ConstellationLyr
CategoryDSO: Supernova Remnant
Time20061002 EDT
Comments I saw a smudge once in Peter's scope but neither of us saw it in my binocular.

TargetMesarthim, γ Ari
ConstellationAri
CategoryDouble Star
Time20061002 EDT
CommentsI could not split it but the flare pattern around it indicated to me that it was a double star.

TargetCastor and Pollux Ari
ConstellationGem
CategoryConstellationr
Time20061003.0113 EDT
CommentsAs we were leaving we saw Castor and Pollux above the trees. They are laying there a little bit head down with Pollux rising after most of the rest of the constellation.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.