19 October 2006

18 October 2006

Observing LocationBryant Park
Observational Period1700 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
TemperatureWarm
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeIndian Summer

This morning NOAA said it would be partly cloudy in the afternoon so I took my compact binocular with me when I went downtown expecting to check on the Sun before my meeting. When I went downtown shortly before noon it was totally overcast. The sub was visible behind the clouds but they were not thin enough to contemplate trying to look for sunspots through them. From the subway bridge over The Bronx River I could see billowing cumulus clouds embedded in stratus all around me. It did clear off by time for me to go to my meeting and I had hopes of seeing the sub but unfortunately it had already set behind the tall buildings surrounding the park.

TransparencyGood
Seeing
Instruments
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2100-2215 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverOvercast
Temperature63°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Feels LikeVery Comfortable

When I left my meeting and headed to dinner it was broken clouds (=>50% and <90%). By the time I got out of dinner it was 99.44% overcast. CSC said it would be clear with at least average transparency so I had said I was going to TotL and Kin said he might stop by, so I took a bus up and walked into the park. My amateur radio net was tonight and I needed to hang out in Manhattan for that since I wouldn't make it home in time, and the temperature was really pleasant for sitting out in the park anyway. We hung out for a while and rode Kin's scooter around the park but the clouds never broke up or even thinned out. Sometimes we could see airplane headlights through the clouds but mostly we heard them. This is one of those nights when CSC was predicting weather for a planet (if we can use that term to refer to a round celestial body that has cleared its orbit but orbits around a star other than our star) in a galaxy far, far away.

TransparencyOpaque
Seeing
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binocular - Charlie
Audubon 6x16 monocular - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

TargetMirfak (I think)
ConstellationPer
CategoryMiracle
Time20061018.2150 EDT
CommentsI was watching a tiny patch of sky where there was no cloud as it drifted across the sky. When it got over to where Perseus should have been it passed in front of a bright star that could only have been Mirfak. That was the only celestial body seen tonight.

I spent a little bit of time thinking about where the constellations would be behind all the clouds.

I checked the weather forecast and now it looks like I am not going to see either the insurance old crescent Moon I had planned to observe on Friday morning or the last crescent Moon and Orionids meteors Peter and I had planned to observe on Saturday.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.