| Observing Location | VP |
| Observational Period | 0930-0945 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
|
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film
- Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Vir |
| Category | Solar |
| Time | 20061013.0930 EDT |
| Comments |
Heliphraphic Latitude (B0) | +5.99° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 65.78° |
Position Angle (P) | +26.25° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2048 |
I didn't are anything today; no spots, no plage.
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| South | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Total | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
|
|---|
|
| Observing Location | TotL |
| Observational Period | 2045-0030 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 46°F |
| Wind | 6 mph&br;Gusting to 10 |
| Humidity | Low |
| Feels Like | Cold |
The sky looked gray but it was really clear. I looked up and saw three of the Perseus fishhook stars when I wasn't even looking for them. Just before leaving I counted nine stars in the Pleiades and Peter was up to at least ten. Seeing took a hit not because the air was not stable but because gusts of wind were buffeting the optics.
I was bothered by the cold tonight. I dressed for it on the upper body and that felt fairly comfortable although I felt a little wired putting on a poly sweater under a poly lined jacket when there are still people out running around in shorts. Mt legs do better in the cold than my core and I just wore jeans which were adequate. Mt feet felt comfortable until I started walking and then I became aware of how cold they were. What tool it the worst were my head and my hip? I had a baseball cap on but the back of my head and my neck were cold. A parka with a hood would have felt good, but if I do that now what will I wear when it really gets cold. I don't know what to do about my hip. It just didn't appreciate just standing there in the cold. I attribute it to arthritis which bothers my left thumb and, to a lesser extend, my left hip fairly regularly. But tonight my right hip was the most uncomfortable.. At one point I had to leave my equipment with Peter and walk around the path to free it up. Once that was done I became aware of the full pain in my left hip and feet which the right hip had been masking.
I think I am getting old.
They had an early season, record, lake effect snowfall up in Buffalo last night that dropped 1-2 feet of snow downing trees and power lined leaning 200,000 residents without power. That amount of snow is nothing for Buffalo. But because the leaves are still on the trees its effect was exacerbated. They are saying it may take over two weeks before everyone gets their power back. Now sounds like a good time to be an astronomer in Buffalo. The commentator was asked if this is a harbinger of a longer and colder than usual winter and said that they are actually predicting it to be warmer than usual. I hope they are right although I would rather deal with snow than rain.
| Transparency | Excellent |
| Seeing | II |
|---|
|
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Peter and I both noticed that the focus in my binocular drifts. The higher the binocular is pointed the faster it drifts. It is like the mechanism and grease are not stiff enough to hold the oculars in place. When you have the binocular focused and pan down you have to refocus as you are loosing altitude.
Takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter
Harry, a.k.a. The Kite: 6" DIY Newtonian Reflector - Peter
There was really too much wind to use this instrument although Peter put it up for a short time to look at one or two objects. I call it The Kite because it is so light and easily buffeted by the wind.
|
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee
|
|---|
Without my PDA to run Planetarium I am hobbled. I know a lot of constellations now, but don't know my way around in them to find anything. Mostly I don't even remember what there is that I should even be looking for. Between this and the cold I mostly tagged along with Peter tonight and looked at whatever he found in his binocular.
| Target | IC4665 |
| Constellation | Oph |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061013.2045 EDT |
| Comments | A sparse cluster. Serb in Peter's binocular. |
|---|
|
| Target | 61 Oph |
| Constellation | Oph |
| Category | Double Star |
| Time | 20061013.2054 EDT |
| Comments | A close double but readily spit in Peter's binocular. |
|---|
|
| Target | Muscleman Cluster, Stock 2 |
| Constellation | Oph |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061013.2107 EDT |
| Comments | Almost fills the FoV
Spread legs merge into a stick body with a big round head on too of it.
|
|---|
|
| Target | Double Cluster (NGC869 & NGC884) and Milky Way |
| Constellation | Per |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061013.2110 EDT |
| Comments | There are many more stars above the upper cluster than we normally are. The whole area looks like it is covered with diamond dust. |
|---|
|
| Target | Trumpler 2 |
| Constellation | Per |
| Category | Ocl |
| Time | 20061013.2100 EDT |
| Comments | A pyramid with an orange star at the top.
|
|---|
|
| Target | Wild Duck, M11, NGC6705 |
| Constellation | Sct |
| Category | DSO: OCl/td> |
| Time | 20061013.2136 EDT |
| Comments | Looks more like a big globular than an open cluster. On prolonged study a couple of stars began to flash
|
|---|
|
| Target | Kemble’s Cascade & NGC1502 |
| Constellation | Cam |
| Category | Asterism & DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061013.2158 EDT |
| Comments | Looks a lot brighter tonight than on recent attempts. I saw a few stars in NGC1502 tonight. |
|---|
|
| Target | M34, NGC039 |
| Constellation | Per |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061013.2206 EDT |
| Comments | A large, loose cluster. The Firefly Deep Sky Observer’s Guide says it is a naked-eye object. |
|---|
|
| Target | NCG1545 |
| Constellation | Per |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061013.2252 EDT |
| Comments | Located in the fishhook. Small and sparse. |
|---|
|
| Target | NGC1528 |
| Constellation | Per |
| Category | DSO: OCl |
| Time | 20061013.2308 EDT |
| Comments | Just outside the point of the fishhook. Large and diffuse. |
|---|
|
| Observing Location | Hugh J. Grant Circle, The Bronx, NY |
| Observational Period | 0130 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | Cold |
| Wind | Light Breeze |
| Humidity | Low |
| Feels Like | Cold |
|
| Instruments | Naked-eye Observing - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Moon and Gemini |
| Constellation | Gem |
| Category | Alignment/Conjunction |
| Time | 20061014.0130 EDT |
| Comments | While waiting for the traffic light outside my train station I noticed the Last Quarter Moon was rising with the illuminated side down and it was close to a star to UTF 10:30. It was a nice alignment and I wondered which star it might be. Up at the next block I saw that there were two stars out there. I guessed that they were Castor and Pollux although I was not able to are any other stars in the area. At the end of my block I checked and estimated that it was about 23° above the horizon.
Arriving home I checked Planetarium I found that the Moon was between Pollux's head and κ Gem, his right hand. |
|---|
|
<< Home